Chapter Thirty Three - The Victors

NOTE: Nearly finished, a couple more chapters to go! This isn't the end just yet! Sorry for such a late update - it shouldn't happen again -.-

Chapter Thirty Three - The Victors

I was actually pleased when I met my stylists once again. Yes, they cried over me and told me about how they found the Games, but to me it was good. I was grateful that I was able to hear these comments because if I couldn't, I was probably dead. And I wasn't dead. That was good enough for me. Being able to breathe was good enough for me. It was good enough for me.

They all hugged me and fussed over me, then hugged me again. They bustled about me and dragged me into the dining room, where they sat me down in a chair. I was going to have a proper meal, the first one since entering the arena. My stomach, as if on cue, growled loudly, aching with hunger. They then brought me the food I was eating. I wanted to tell them to get me something bigger, but I figured it was because I was on a strict diet to bring my strength back. Anything too less or too over would harm me or something or other.

I wolfed down the meat and vegetables, and was actually rather surprised to see my empty plate. I had eaten it quicker than I thought I could. My stomach still yearned for more, but I didn't dare ask. I didn't want them to feel guilty and bad that they couldn't give me the food that I wanted but certainly could not have. So I stayed silent and let them bustle about me and finally drag me into Cinna's presence, leaving my best stylist and I alone in peace...peace, at last. He smiled and looked me up and down. Not in a judging way, but in an observant way, like he had done when he first laid eyes on me before the Games had started.

"My mockingjay has gotten stronger. She may not feel like she has, but her flames are hot and the scorches she leaves are overwhelming and permanent." He said. I hugged him. "Now, it's time to make you into a mockingjay once more. Follow me, I have your outfit for your ceremony." Cinna then lead me into a room, where my other stylists were already waiting. Great. Cinna then produces a black dress made of feathers. It had a relatively low, square neck line with thick arm straps that would cover my shoulders, and the torso would hug my body. The skirt of the dress came to above my knees and flowed out in black silk, shaped like feathers layered on top of each other. I smiled when I noticed that the body was made of small, black and real feathers, and that whenever the skirt rippled, it looked as if orange flames danced about the feather shapes, trapped inside the material.

It felt good to put the dress on. I felt strong again, like I was a mockingjay. I supposed I was already a mockingjay, but Cinna's dresses made me feel like I could fly for real,and soar into the clouds, infinite and free. Like a bird. Like a mockingjay.

"Wonderful." He said as I slipped on the black flats that had been coated with silk feathers, like the skirt of my dress. I smiled and gave him a little twirl. Cinna's smile grew wider as he watched the flame illusion flicker about the skirt of my dress and shoes. Cinna then brushed my hair so it looked presentable again. He then took a single strand of hair near my face and started braiding it, using my red ribbon from my wrist to create a beautiful, weaved pattern. Once he tied the plait off, he pulled something out from his pocket...something small and black with dashes of white.

My feather.

"Is that...?" I asked, trailing off. Cinna nodded as he attached the feather to the plait, his fingers soft and gentle as he gentle weaved the end of it into my hair. I could feel tears of joy welling up in my eyes. Cinna had Grayson's feather. I could tell it was the very one Grayson gave me in the arena, thanks to the pattern on it. I wanted to cry, but instead I hugged Cinna, thanking him over and over and over again. Cinna just stroked my hair and told me that he knew I would want it and that it was his pleasure and that it was okay.