Short story #2 / Waiting for death

My darling, my wife;

My children, my loves;

My parents, my life;

My sister, my everything;

My friends, my joy;

I am here because I wanted to protect my country, defend it against the forces of evil, defend the defenceless.

Maybe I will leave, go to another world and hope that in this world there will only be heaven and not hell.

To win, we must sacrifice men. For my country and for you, I will sacrifice myself.

After all, I am only a pawn in this terrible war, but at least I am considered a human being, not as homosexuals, the mentally ill, Jews, ... who are considered objects.

In this war, we are all going through difficult times. We see things that are shocking, even traumatic, even inhuman. Even if we go blind later, we will remember these images all our lives. Soldiers without limbs or heads. Blood and more blood...

How can such a man exist? How can such a man cause all this? "Our Führer" as they say...

Why did God give him life?

He killed so many people, most of them innocent. He killed people for his thirst for power. He killed so many human beings in the name of a religion and a superior race as he says.

My wife, I love you, I love you very much, even more than you think. My children, I would die for you if I had to. I'd kill for you if I had to. So much love is for you that I can't put it down on paper.

My other family, my father, my mother, you who raised me, who taught me to walk and talk, who taught me so many things, be proud of me. If I don't come home, don't cry, because whatever happens, I'll stay with you forever. You will always be in my heart.

Sister, be happy. I fought to save so many lives so fight for a happy life. Don't forget me.

My brother, you came to fight beside me. My older brother, my model, I saw you dying beside me without being able to help you survive, know that I am joining you.

My friends, you who made me laugh and smile, even in the worst moments, keep only good memories of me. Do not mourn my loss.

I'd rather leave with a good deed.

I am writing this letter in the faint glow of an almost totally consumed candle. How much time do I have left to write you everything I want? I'll never have enough time to tell you all how much I love you.

This is my last night. Calm.

Those who, like me, will distract the enemy, also write letters to their loves.

There are three of us.

Three brothers because after all, everything we see, feel, touch, all the horrors we suffer, we cannot be enemies. We Hitler's enemies are all family.

During this war, don't think I was always sad because I wasn't. I shared happy moments with my older brother. I shared with my second family, my teammates, the defenders of freedom, soldiers, so many happy moments.

My wife, I am also writing to tell you that if I do not return, find yourself a man who deserves you and who loves you as much as I do. From the first time I saw you, I knew you were the woman of my life and the one who would bear my children.

To you, my wife, my children, my father, my mother, my sister, my friends, my teammates, I should have told you more often that I loved you, that you were everything to me.

My brother and all the loved ones who have already left, I did not have time to tell you how much I loved you but now that I am going to join you, in paradise, I hope to see you again and hold you tightly in my arms.

I wait, I wait, ah the wait, that it is long and painful. I await my death, yes my death.

In an hour, I'll have to leave to distract the enemy and in an hour, I'll leave, far away.

This letter, keep it, put it in a museum if you want but, keep it.

I don't know what to tell you anymore because to tell you everything, I stress and I ask myself thousands of questions.

Will I survive?

Am I going to die?

Will I suffer?

Are we gonna win?

Is what we're about to do any good?

Will Hitler lose the war?

My God, I pray hard that he will lose this damn war, I have always been a good and pious man. What I am asking is that Hitler quickly lose the war, that the world be at peace, without war, that everyone I love be happy for the rest of their lives.

I hope our world will be at peace until the end of this one. I hope it never happens again. Never again.

You, all the people I love, who have almost always seen me brave and smiling, would be disappointed to see me today. We are given alcohol and to forget what I see and who I kill, I drink, I drink, I even sink.

Me who had such a peaceful existence with my family and my friends, here I am very upset with my new way of life (if one can of such...).

My wife, you must remember my friend who went to live in Germany, well, I saw him dead, with lots of bullets in his chest but he was smiling. His face shone, he was peaceful. He surely died in excruciating suffering but knowing that he was leaving such a terrible world made him happy.

I see my teammates die because of the Germans but I also see my victims and sometimes, sometimes, even too often, I recognize them.

I had been to Germany before the war, it was a poor and wounded Germany but I knew many Germans there and there, before my horrified eyes, I recognize them.

As I write, the minutes go by. Death is getting closer and closer to me.

It's almost a miracle I'm still alive.

I hope there will be survivors to tell the horror of this war.

I make you all a promise: when I run to entertain the Germans, I will tighten tightly the necklace you all gave me so recently, when the war had not returned.

Life is still badly made.

There are only a few minutes left before I leave you, my friends and family, the world of the living.

My two teammates and I drank a glass of alcohol for the last time in our lives.

I will think of you until my soul escapes from my body. I will even think of all of you when I suffer.

Ever since I got into this war, I've been keeping a diary to vent my anger. I hope you receive it with my letter.

I could still describe the war, but no, time is running out. I think the survivors will.

One thing I want you to know is that I am leaving happy and proud to defend my homeland against this heartless being who murder so many innocent people.

Fight for your lives, enjoy it, be happy. Be proud. Do not mourn my loss because I will always be near you to watch over you.

One day you'll join me.

I love you all as much as you are.

************************************************************

Don't forget to comment 💬, vote⭐️, and above all share it 👍, as well as subscribe to it 👥❤️.

Good reading 😘