Don't Be Gone Too Long - Chapter 6

Camila’s POV:

*BONG* “Be in the center field in 7 minutes!” I sit straight up at the noise and hit my head on the metal surface above me.

“Fuck” I gasp and grab my head. I look around at the unfamiliar surroundings and get up putting on the boots that I’ve worn since I got here. Everyone around me is already moving out so I jump up and get in line with the rest of them.

“Okay! Welcome to base 194! This is your last day here and since we didn’t have time to go over much tactical yesterday we are doing that today. So spread out into 4 groups and lets start!” The man in front of us screams loudly. I move into one of the groups and see some familiar faces from yesterday’s team assignments.

“Now today we are going to start with some basic attacks. Here we have 4 buildings. Each team will go in those buildings and clear the area. You will shoot the targets and use the smoke bombs we used yesterday. Now go grab your weapons and gear and meet back her in 2 minutes!” We all run to the gear tent and start putting our gear on.

“Hey Camila right?” I turn around to see one of my team mates already dressed in gear.

“Er yeah. And you’re Austin.” I say putting on my vest.

“Yeah! You remember! Anyways I just came over to say you were amazing through the obstacle course yesterday. And you were the one that helped me out of the barbwire. So thank you.” Austin says and smiles big.

“Um thanks! And no problem.” I respond giving him a slight grin trying to get my vest on still.

“Here let me help you with that.” He moves towards me before I have a chance to deny and starts working with the straps.

“Uh thanks. I guess we should get going?” I say after he zips up the vest.

“Yeah. I guess we should. But hey follow me and I’ll lead you through it. I’ve done this a few times before so I kinda know the route.” He says and walks out of the tent.

“Okay, thanks.”  I yell back and finish putting my belt on before running after my team mates.

--

“That’ll be good for today. I hope you learned a lot today because you’ll need everything you possibly can get to survive out there. Wish you all the best of luck to the journey ahead of you! Now hit the showers and go to bed. The bus will be here at 5:00 am. Be on time!” The troop trainer says and salutes us. We salute back before we all drag our limp, sore legs to the showers.

After taking a shower we had back to our bunks and by now it’s already 2 am. I’ll get 3 hours of sleep if I can pass out now. But right before I fall asleep I hear a noise above me.

“Jesus Austin!” I whisper scream when I see his head hanging down looking at me from his top bunk. “What the hell do you want? We have to leave in 3 hours.”

“Sorry, I thought you were asleep. I didn’t mean to startle you.” He says and frowns.

“So what were you doing? Just staring at me while I’m sleeping?!”

“No! I was just- Um.. thinking.” He says.

“Thinking?? About what Austin?” I say annoyed.

“How’d you end up here? Did you volunteer? Why would you do that?”  He asks.

“No of course I didn’t volunteer to be in this hell hole! I don’t want to go off to that mess!” I yell as quietly as I could without waking anyone up.