Chapter 2

How long have I been lying here for? Maybe I should try to wake up, if only I knew how to wake myself up. I know that I’ve been asleep for too long.

            Monica was sleeping now rather than being unconscious, and her breathing was heavy enough that she would be fine. Around 1 p.m. she slowly blinked open her eyes to adjust at  looking around her in a bland room. Ow, my head really hurts and it’s throbbing... she thought. She couldn’t move her arms without being in pain and she had no idea what had happened other than what people had told her late on Saturday night before she had been knocked out from anesthesia. She moved her head slightly, wincing at how much her face felt sore. Something was touching her palm, and although she could barely feel what it was she saw that it was another hand. Her eyes followed the hand to the arm, then to the boy sitting on the chair next to her. He was in a light sleep, relaxing against the back of the chair. He had blonde hair and it looked like tear streaks lined his face. Had he been crying? Because of her? Who was this guy? Why is he here, holding my hand? She questioned herself. Monica tried to move her fingertips and at the slight movement the boy’s hand on hers jerked away and when she looked up again he was sitting much closer to her, tears ready to pour out of his beautiful blue eyes. Her breath caught in her throat at the sudden movement he had made and the fact that she was lost in his ocean-like orbs. She knew that she was supposed to know him, obviously he cared for her if he was going to cry, but who was he? “Monica?” She moved her head painfully to face him better. At her movement he smiled brightly and a tear slipped down his cheek as he grasped her hand again. Now Monica was very confused.

“Do I know you?” She said trying not to be mean, but they were her first words and sounded croaky as she rubbed her eyes. She watched as his smile diminished, fading to a solemn look, and he sat quietly, staring intensely at her for a moment.

“Y-yes... I’m Niall.” Monica gave a curt nod of understanding, although she had no choice but to believe him. 

“Why are you here?” Monica’s voice sounded a bit better than the first time but there was no waiver in her confusion. She really had no idea who he was.

“I came to visit you... I came as soon as I heard what had happened.” Monica realized he must’ve been referring to the accident.

“Why?” She said and coughed painfully afterwards, leaving her chest heaving from pain. Niall watched her with grief.

“I love you; I had to come see you.” Niall smiled lightly next to her, not daring to let go of her hand. Monica’s mind whipped around in confusion. Niall must have seen the confusion on her face, "I'm your boyfriend." Boyfriend? When had she ever gotten a boyfriend? Monica thought frantically, how did she not remember him?

“I have a boyfriend... never thought I would be saying those words.” She tried to chuckle as a smile crossed her lips. Niall laughed lightly.

“That’s the Monica humor that I missed.” She smiled slightly, but really had no idea what was going on. This person was the most beautiful person that she remembered... well she didn’t remember him. She knew her parents, and she knew some friends; but by the way the doctors had explained last night was that she had lost the last couple years of her memory. Monica looked over to the boy with the blue eyes, someone she knew she would have to know. Over the next couple of minutes as they sat in silence she was thinking that because she was having all these problems, she was contemplating on maybe she should let him go... so that he would not have to deal with all of her newfound issues.