Chapter Thirty-One - Clashing Kingdoms

Почніть із самого початку

"Calm down, lower your blade, and we can discuss this like men," Phil states, meeting the dark eyes of the boy in front of him with an unwavering gaze.

"What is there to talk about? You killed my brother!" Adrian spits back, taking a step closer. Phil flinches as the sword gets closer to his throat and his guards brace themselves for a fight.

The king of Divum stares at him, the pieces of the puzzle slowly fitting together; the same dark eyes, the facial resemblance, the black accents in his clothing, the fact that he's Tenebrisian... His eyes widen and he shakes his head, suddenly much, much more frantic. "Dan? Are you referring to Dan? He's alive! He's back at the castle!"

Adrian scowls and takes another few steps forward, turning his blade so the side hovers right below Phil's jaw. "Do not lie to me, king. How could he possibly be alive if the mark of our kingdom started appearing on my arm?"

"He was ill. Deathly ill. I healed him because I was afraid he would die," Phil explains. "However, marks don't come back instantly. His mark will only return fully in a couple of days, and yours is probably fading as well."

Before the prince can reply, a voice stops him.

"Adrian, lower your blade."

Adrian's eyes flit away from Phil as Dan brushes past the group of Divian guards, his cloak billowing out behind him. The prince shoves his sword back into its sheathe and throws himself into Dan's open arms without a moment of hesitation, burying his face in his brother's shoulder.

"You look so much older than the last time I saw you," Dan says quietly, earning a strangled sob from Adrian.

"Oh my God, Dan, I thought you were dead."

"I'm okay, I promise." Dan lets him go and places his hands on Adrian's shoulders, a small smile on his face. "You have always been so reckless, brother. I'm surprised you got this far without anyone stopping you."

"PJ tried," Adrian admits, wiping his eyes. "I was too angry to see reason."

"Ah, I see," Dan replies. "We will continue this conversation later. For now, let me introduce you to King Philip of Divum. I am immensely glad that you didn't kill him because he's also my partner."

Phil steps forward and Adrian shakes his hand, a shameful blush rising on his face. "PJ suggested that you two loved each other and I didn't believe him."

"You need to learn to listen to those older and wiser than you," Dan states, ruffling his little brother's hair. "Maybe, they know things that you don't know."

Adrian frowns at him, but there's no anger in his eyes anymore. Dan smiles and turns to Phil. "Phil, you've probably already guessed that this is my little brother, Prince Adrian."

"A pleasure," Phil replies with a smile of his own.

Dan turns to the small group of Tenebrisian soldiers, who watch him expectantly. "Ladies and gentlemen, it is wonderful to see you all again. Please, lay down your arms and follow the Divian soldiers back to the castle, where food and drink will be provided."

The guards bow and follow the Divians, chattering amongst themselves. Phil watches them go before turning to Adrian. "I need to speak privately with your brother for a moment. Follow the guards and we will meet you once we're finished."

Adrian nods and walks after the guards, his hand resting on his sword's hilt and his boots scuffing against the cobblestone. Dan and Phil follow several steps behind, just out of earshot of the Tenebrisian prince. Phil takes his horse by the reins, the animal trailing slightly behind the two kings.

"I told you to stay in bed," Phil scolds gently, taking his hand.

"My people were attacking your gates. You should have known that I never would have stayed in bed," Dan replies, glancing at him.

"I know." Phil sighs and squeezes Dan's hand. "Are you feeling okay, though? Running down here didn't put you under too much strain?"

"I've got a bit of a headache, but it's fine," Dan says.

"You're still pretty pale."

"I'm less pale than I was yesterday."

Phil exhales and nods. "I'm sorry.  I'm just worried."

"I know. I appreciate your concern."

The king of Divum smiles and nudges him with his shoulder. "I'll kiss you when we're out of the public eye."

Dan grins. "Sounds good. For now, let's get to the castle and have a talk with my brother."