- Six -

"Owww", Kimberley croaks, as she lifts her head, "my neck is killing!" 

Cheryl's eyes flutter open as she takes a moment to realize where she is.  "Yeah, I guess that wasn't the best sleeping arrangement."

Despite the uncomfortable nap, a huge smile makes it's way to Cheryl's face.  She feels her heart throb as she recalls falling asleep, thinking happy thoughts, and waking up with those same thoughts tracing her mind.  

Kimberley giggles as she sits up.  "I didn't even mean to fall asleep! Sorry, babe."

She can't believe how refreshed she feels even though she only slept a few hours.  She thought she'd be depressed, torn and still crying over Justin.  But something about Cheryl's presence really comforted her.   

"Don't be sorry," Cheryl replies, with that huge smile still dimpling her face.

She glances at the clock.  "Kimba, it's two in the morning! You better get into some pyjamas and get to bed.  Big day ahead of you."  

"Oh God.  I guess I should make the most of the hours I have left to sleep", she says, getting up from the couch and heading for the stairs.  

Cheryl gets up, as well, grabbing her keys and coat.  Part of her wishes they could have stayed asleep on the couch, but she knew it wouldn't have been wise for Kimberley's sake.  She's about to say good night and head for the door but Kimberley's voice stills her. 

"Cheryl?"

She turns around to face her best friend standing just before the staircase. 

"Hm?" 

"Could you...could you stay?" she asks, timidly, shifting her eyes to the floor, "erm...with me? Please."  

Cheryl's heart flutters, lighting up her big brown eyes.  

"Of course, babe,"  she says, sweetly, knowing she could never say no to her - not that she'd ever want to.  

Kimberley looks up and holds her arms out for a hug, a small, forlorn smile playing on her lips.  Cheryl's heart melts at the sight of her sad smile.  She doesn't hesitate to set her keys and coat back down and walk over to her. She hugs her best friend securely.  

~*~*~*~

Kimberley lays in her bed, staring at the white ceiling, taking note of the different grooves and patterns in an attempt to keep her mind busy.  She waits for Cheryl who is still in the bathroom, washing up for bed.  

"Cheryl?" 

"Just a minute!" she calls back.  

Cheryl stares at her reflection in the mirror.  The remnants of the day's makeup are completely washed from her face.  Her hair is up in a messy bun, minus a few strands that hang down past her temples.  She stands clad in a white tank top and pink, silk, pyjama pants - both borrowed from Kimberley.  She finds herself slightly nervous all of a sudden.  She expected she'd spend the night in the guest room but when Kimberley asked her to stay with her tonight, she really meant with her.  They'd be spending the night in Kimberley's king-sized bed.  Cheryl is surprised by her slight uneasiness.

Why are you nervous?  It's not like you haven't slept in the same bed before. Hell - you've even fooled around before! Given they were nothing but drunken kisses turned into drunken...other things...but still! You've invaded each other's personal space far worse before.  There's no reason to be nervous.   

She shakes her head free of its thoughts and exits the bathroom.  As she walks towards the bed, taking note of the empty space beside Kimberley, she's suddenly reminded of why she's actually here - because Justin isn't and Kimberley needs her.  She turns off the bedside lamp and crawls into bed.