prologue

...

WITH EVERY FIBER OF JASPER HALE'S BEING he wanted to say hello, but he couldn't. He worried that any word from him might run her off. All he had to do though was say hello. He didn't need a full introduction. All he needed was a hello.

His mind was still running back to what Alice had told him a few nights ago.

"Don't say ma'am to a girl. That makes them feel old."

"But it's respectful,"

"It's the 21st century Jasper, you cannot say that."

"What do I say then?"

"A simple hi to start things off."

Even Alice had told him to just say hello. But if he ruined this, then he'd be incredibly frustrated with himself. This girl was mesmerizing. If Jasper could convince himself to believe in such things he'd say it was love at first sight.

"Hey," Johanna Moss had said in her melodic voice. It was beautiful music to Jasper's ears, something he couldn't get enough of. It was followed by a smile.

A smile, so simple, so easy. To Jasper, it was a solidifying moment in his life. It made him realize many things. First, this was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen in his entire life. She was a different kind of beautiful though. Alice was beautiful but Johanna Moss was beautiful. She was like a magnet, Jasper couldn't help but want to find out more about her.

No matter how much Jasper wanted to say something back, he was frozen in the moment. Johanna Moss was an example of why wars were fought over women. Johanna Moss wasn't perfect, no one was, but she was the closest thing to it. If Jasper could dream he'd dream of her.

Jasper Hale had lived for so long and nothing nor no one had made him feel like this. It was an attraction so intense it hurt. This had to be some sort of love at first sight, if it wasn't THEN THE ENTIRE CONCEPT HAD TO BE A LIE.