The Moment of Truth

I was on the school playground when a girl with our school's rival's logo on her shirt began to approach me. Why would she walk all the way here?

"Hey, Ruby!" A girl chirped, skipping over to me.

How did she know my name?

Today, Amethyst filled me in on what happened yesterday and how it was okay for me to go to school still. I don't remember half of what she said happening, but at least I know why I can't remember much about living with her before. It's not too much of a change, though. Her house was basically my second house before the accident. But, now that I think about it, I can't remember much of what Amethyst told me.
Actually, I don't remember much about living with my parents either. All I remember is some of the times I've played with Bengi. I remember everything but whatever the accident was crystal clearly.
Bengi was moved to Amethyst's house because Amethyst knew how much I loved him. She also loved Bengi. She would never send him to the pound unless he went savage of some sort, which would never happen.

She paused when she got closer to me.
"What happened?!" She asked worriedly.

"Huh?"
"Your face," She specified.
"U-uh... what about it?" I touched my face, feeling a burning sensation.
"Ow! I- I don't know?" I tried to answer.
"How can you not know?!" She exclaimed.
"I just- I don't!" I said back.

After a few seconds, I began to get a slight headache.
"W-wait," I looked at the ground then back at her, "who- do I know you?"
She stood there, staring at me.
"Ruby! It's me! Sapphire!"
I thought for a moment.
"S-sorry... that doesn't ring a bell," I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Ruby!" She cried.

"Ruby!"

"Ruby!" Amethyst shouted, shaking me awake, "We're gonna be late for school! Get ready and meet me in the car!"
I glanced at my phone.
SHIT, she's right!

Amethyst parked her car in the student parking zone and we rushed inside with just five minutes until we have to be in class.

"Hey, Ruby!" Molly exclaimed.
"Hey, Molly," I greeted in return.
"So, babe, I got the project in my locker. You nervous to present?"
Wow, it was only two days that all that happened?
"'babe'?" Amethyst repeated.
"O-oh, right. Amethyst, meet my new frie-erm, girlfriend," I introduced, "Molly, this is my best friend in the whole wide world, Amethyst."
"In the flesh," Amethyst bowed. I made Amethyst's introduction a bit more overexaggerated because we're comfortable complimenting each other. We both had a struggle admitting how much we cared about each other in the beginning, but it comes naturally to us now.

Just then, the babysitter from yesterday walked up.
"Hey, Ruby," she greeted.
"Hey, erm... sorry, I actually don't think I caught your name, funny enough," I chuckled, but it wasn't funny at all.
She wore a disappointed, almost heartbroken, expression on her face after I said that. Shit.
"It's... it's Sapphire," She stuttered.
"Oh, that's a pretty name," I smiled genuinely.

I felt a tug on my arm. It was Amethyst.
"C'mon, Rubes. We don't wanna be late for class," She said, pulling me away from the girls.

Amethyst's POV

I don't like the idea of Ruby talking to Sapphire.
I mean, yes, I do love that my best friend's childhood love is talking to her and they could possibly be together, but, I don't want her to remember all that pain and suffering along with it.
There's a possibility that her memory could come back, but at what cost?

I remember the day that she came out to me... well, sorta.

We were on the playground and Sapphire was taking a sick day so she wasn't at school, so Ruby didn't feel the need to head over to her school. It also explained why Sapphire didn't come to our school either as usual.

"Hey, Amethyst, have you ever liked being around someone so much that it makes you nervous?" She asked me.
I looked over at the tall girl jumping rope. Her hair was quite short. I hated being around her because she's so stuck up all the time, but, no matter how much she can irritate me, I still find my eyes gravitating towards her.
"Erm," I rubbed the back of my neck, "sorta? I don't know. Why do you ask?"
"No reason, just wondering. I just wanted to know if feeling that way around Sapphire is normal," She shrugged.
"Oh,"

I knew her parents were homophobic, so I never admitted anything to Ruby. I didn't plan to until we were twenty and out of our parents houses or something. But I guess you could say our plans changed. I still have yet to tell her that I'm a lesbian too.

"Ha ha!" Someone bopped Ruby on the head with a stick.
"Ouch!" Rubes yelped, rubbing her head.
"It is I, Jaspon! The hero of this playground! I shall slay the mighty beast and save the beautiful Bell!" Jasper exclaimed, swinging the stick wildly in the air like a sword.

Jasper was pretending to be Gaston from Beauty and The Beast. She fit the role. Brave, bold, and-... totally full of herself. We loved her anyway, though.
Jaspe- I mean, 'Jaspon' began to flex her muscles for the girls on the playground. They all oohed and awed at her because come on, what eleven-year-old has bodybuilder strength and bulging muscles?

The boys on the playground laughed at her. Some boys, though, praised her and asked her if they would help them get muscles like her.
She didn't mind either type of attention. Perks of being full of yourself, I guess.
No matter how many guy-friends or lady friends she had, she told us that nobody could beat us. We were there for her even when she was weak and scrawny.
Tough to imagine she was weak and scrawny, though. She began working out when she was like six. After all, her dad was in the navy and she told us that she wanted to be just like him. She also said it was because she wanted to protect her mom from baddies who could rob the house.
But, I think personally her mom has almost as much muscle as her dad. It's almost unnatural.

"Uh... Jasp?" Ruby asked.
"What is it, villager?" Jaspon asked in a brave, heroic manner.
"Who would 'bell' be exactly?" Ruby asked.
Jasper stopped in her tracks and thought for a minute.
"Huh, I don't actually know..." Jasper said, "I will now search for a Bell fit for the part!"

"Jaspon! Away!" She began to run around the outskirts of the playground pretending to be on a steed, searching for a Bell.

I chuckled.

"Hey, Ames?" Ruby began.
"Yeah?"
"Why did you look at Sapphire that way?" She asked.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Like... you looked worried around her. Do you like her?"
I blushed. There was no way. I liked someone else, but thinking about said someone else made my face heat up.
"N-no!"
Ruby smirked.
"Yes you do!" Ruby sang.
I took a deep breath.
"Ruby, I promise you. I don't have a crush on her. I- I have a crush on someone else.." I admitted.
The moment of truth.