Flashbarks

Molly scooted closer to me. I didn't really mind. We needed to get the project done, and it's best that getting closer together makes it a bit more productive when it comes to working on poster boards.

After a few minutes of working, Molly flung a rubber band at my face. I tried to block it with my hand, but the rubber band just ended up bopping me on the tip of my nose before I could even lift my arm. She giggled as I rubbed my nose.
"Rude..." I whined.
"Oh, don't be a baby," She laughed.
"I'm not! I'm just saying it was rude," I justified myself.
"Why do you have a rubber band, anyway?" I asked.
"It's so we can roll the poster up and make it easier to bring to school," Molly explained.
"Oh... right,"

She giggled. I laughed along. When she laughs her dimples show and her eyes go into a squinting motion. It's cute.
"TILLY!" A feminine voice shouted. I jumped up, which is impressive since I was still sitting down... so I guess it was more of a hop.
The sounds of screeching and laughing were getting closer to the room as it echoed through the halls. It sounded like someone was running.

Weight landed on the back of my neck and on my shoulders.
I turned my head slightly.
"Molly? What're you doing?"
Molly had her chin resting on her arms that were folded and standing on my shoulders.
"Well, if we're gonna be here for a long time, we might as well get comfortable,"
The way she said 'comfortable' wasn't offsetting. It was more playful than sensual, so I didn't mind.
I looked at her quizzically as I continued to work. She eventually got off me and began to help out.

We worked for a little more than a half and hour, took a break and got a snack, then went back to work for about two more hours.

"Annnnnnd we're done!" Molly chirped.
The poster was a perfect balance of informative and creative. We were sure to get at least an A.
I gave her a polite smile back.
"Yeah, that took way too long," I joked.
She laughed along.
"Hey, by the way. Do you have any time to kill?" She asked.
I looked down at my phone.
"Yeah, sure. Why?"
"I was thinking we could go check out that new ice cream parlor for a reward for a job well done,"
I shrugged. What could go wrong?
"Yeah, sure," I grinned politely, not wanting to give an offsetting vibe.

We walked downstairs to tell Molly's sister's babysitter that we were going to be back in a half an hour.
"Sappy can we go get I squeam too?" Molly's little sister asked the babysitter.
The babysitter's friend mimicked the child, "Yeah, Sappy! Can we?"
They both looked at the babysitter with puppy dog eyes.
The babysitter rolled her eyes.
"Alright," she sighed, "is it alright if we tag along?"
Molly smiled warmly saying, "Sure!- what's your friend's name?"
"My name's Jemma," Jemma chirped.

We headed to the parlor and sat outside with our ice cream cones in hand.
"Wow, it's really nice out!" Jemma stated, trying to break the silence.
"Yeah, I guess," I shrugged.
I could hear Jemma's loud whispering towards her friend.
"Hey, Sapph, what's with Miss. Doom N' Gloom over there?"
I took a side glance over where the whispering was coming from.
The babysitter gave Jemma a glare and, I presume, told her off. One thing for sure, she was a much better whisperer than Jemma.
I tried to fight a frown but sadly failed. My lips began to crease slightly down as a result.

I couldn't blame her for calling me that. I can't act happy for too long.
"So, how was your project?" The babysitter asked us.
"It was good. Ruby's smarter than me so she did the essay portion while I did the posterboard,"
I appreciated Molly's compliment and grinned in return.

I sneezed from allergies.
Unfortunately, in that act, my arm jerked toward my face in force of habit, thinking I'd cover my mouth, and I ended up having some mint chip ice cream for a nose.
"'Scuse me," I tried to laugh it off. Everyone looked at me giggling. Even the kid.

I tried to get it off with my tongue, but sadly, I lack the skill to lick my nose.
Molly laughed and grabbed a napkin.
"Here, let me help you," She wiped my nose with the napkin and smiled.
"Thanks. Stupid allergies," I chuckled.

After a while of laughing and talking about who know's what, it was eventually time for us to go home.
We started to walk down to the neighborhood. We all lived conveniently close to one another.
We were still near a busy street when I spotted a cow jumping over the moon.

Just kidding, I was just checking to see if you were still paying attention.

On that street, I actually spotted a small dog that was a little taller than an average chihuahua, yapping in the distance. It looked like a stray.
"Hey guys, look," I pointed towards the pup.
"Hey, buddy," I began to say as I inched closer to the dog slowly. I wonder where its owner was. It probably ran away.
"Ruby!" Molly shouted.
The pup ran away.
"You scared it away!" I yelled with dissapointment. I only yelled because we were too far away to not shout.
"BEHIND YOU!" All of them, excluding Tilly, shouted.
I looked back and saw two glowing eyes shooting daggers at me. The figure growled.
"Shit!" I slowly turned to face the animal as I backed off slowly.
"Nice... doggo..." I said.

My memories flooded back to me. I shut my eyes tight.
"Not here. Not now!" I thought.

"Hey, Ruby! Look what we brought home!" Dad said with glee.
"What?!" I asked, jumping on the couch.
"Ruby, please stop doing that," Mom said.
I jumped one final time, but this time landed on my bottom smack dab in the middle of the sofa cushion.
Dad held out a large box with holes.
I heard a whimper come from the box.
Dad opened the box and out came a furry ball of happiness.
"Doggo! Doggo! Doggo!" I squealed with delight, hopping on the couch once more.
My father put his arm around my mother as he chuckled.
"Alright, now we gotta name him. What do you think, RJ?"
RJ. The nickname my father gave me. My middle name was Jordon, and my first name was Ruby. So he called me "RJ" for short. I never told anyone my middle name because it was me and my dad's thing. Now I don't tell anyone my middle name because it brings back bad memories.

"Hmmmm," I made a thinking face, propping my fingers into a check mark stance as it rested just below my chin.
I studied the puppy that was trying to wiggle from my dad's grasp.
"Bengi!" I said in a louder-than-inside-voice.
Bengi was a Doberman that was only about two months old. He's the most loyal dog any kid could ever want. I was nine at that time. That's right. just a few years before it all happened.

After Bengi was a year old, dad took him to a dog training facility so Bengi could be an efficient guard dog. Dad took me with him so that in case there was a burglar or something similar to that. Bengi could protect me and follow my commands as well as allowing me to know how to give said commands in result of the training.

Bengi's six years old, now. A very good guard dog. But, he always stayed on my side no matter what. We used to play this game for the two years of hell I lived in. He pretended to growl at me after my father told him to guard my door when I was sent to my room. However, once he knew the coast was clear, he scratched the door ever-so-slightly enough for me to hear but not enough to alert anyone nor make any physical markings. He's one smart pup.
He cuddled with me in bed and played with me when I was bored. When my dad's loud footsteps sounded as he walked up the stairs, I let Bengi out and Bengi acted like he was standing there the whole time.
I tell you, what did we do to deserve dogs?

"Doggo..." I mumbled as my eyes were glued shut.

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

I felt a feeling of suffocation.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-
"We're losing her!"