Chapter 2

***PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW IF YOU ENJOY.***

NATALIE MADDEN

Nat was washing her face and getting ready to retire for the night when she heard her phone ring in her bedroom. The all too familiar tune of Rockabye by Anne-Marie, Clean Bandit and Sean Paul came on, immediately alerting her that it was a call from her mother.

She quickly ran to get it. A moment later and she would have had to spend about 10 minutes of listening to her mom nag that Nat wasn't picking her calls fast enough cause she didn't care about her or love her or didn't think her important enough. Nat knew her mother didn't mean it but it was annoying to hear either way.

She definitely didn't need a guilt trip like that at this point in her already complicated life.

She did wonder though why her mother was calling her at this time of the night although, she had a pretty good idea.

She closed her eyes and let out a short breath sending a short prayer to the heavens this isn't a call for what she thinks it is before swiping and picking the call, "Hey mom."

Apparently, her lack of ethusuasim was noticed immediately by her ever observant mother. No surprise there.

"Darling." Her Mom's never disappearing British accent was heard over the line. "What a way to greet your mother."

Nat could visualise the scowl on her Mom's spotless, ageless face as she said that and smiled and then said with obviously exaggerated ethusuasim.

"Hi Mom!" She pretty much shouted into the phone.

"Much better." Alyssa said with a smile in her voice. "How's my favourite daughter doing?"

"Oh, you mean your only daughter?" Nat asked, putting the call on loudspeaker as she got comfortable on the bed getting ready to sleep after her stressful day. "I'm good, Mom. I've just really busy and stressed."

"No, no, no. That's a must not do. The Sheridan skin isn't ever to be stressed by a day's work but of course that's just what you do everyday. Work. Rather vigorously might I add." Alyssa said, the frustration in her tone obvious. She felt like her daughter never listened to her recently.

For obvious reasons her mom was always against Nat starting her own company. Proud of her but against it nonetheless. Her family is extremely wealthy. Both her mom and dad's family. And because of her sheltered upbringing, her mom seemed to believe that working is for the men and shopping for the women.

"I hope that you are at least getting an outlet for all that stress in a good workout." Alyssa said.

Nat sighed. "I haven't really been able to get in the gym but I will soon, hopefully before the wedding."

"Oh, no, darling", Alyssa Madden said with a mischievous chuckle, "Not that kind of workout. The other kind. Don't tell me that boyfriend of yours hasn't been keeping up with his duties?"

And there it was. Her reason for calling.

Nat quickly thought of a lie that would be believable to her mother, the ultimate lie detector. "Uh, he hasn't been in town".

"Hmm. I do hope he will at least be kind enough to grace us with his presence at the dinner tomorrow night?" Alyssa said with a hint of apprehension in her voice.

Oh no. Nat already could hear the slight suspicion in her voice. She wasn't suprised that her mother didn't quite belive her. She didn't believe herself either!

One day she was preaching of dying single and the next she had a 'mystery boyfriend'.

"He'll be returning tomorrow so he should."

"Okay. I guess that's good enough." There was a brief pause and the sound of voices were heard in the background before Alyssa said, "Oh, your father needs me, I have to go. Talk to you later?"

"Definitely." Nat was happy to have at least heard her mom's voice and spoken to her but she was definitely not liking the direction of this conversation. It just led to more and more lies which she did not want. "Tell Dad I said I love him and that I'll call him when I can".

"Will do. Toodles." And just like that she hung up the call.

Amused at the whole conversation, Natalie shook her head. Just like her.

An idea then came to her head. It was bizzare to her but at this point she really didn't have a choice unless she wanted to go to the party dateless and give her mother a flimsy excuse that she would immediately see through. Which would eventually lead to her family bugging her even more about getting herself a stable man.

After her breakup with Jason a few months ago, Natalie just wasn't ready to go through that shit anymore. Just like the last three guys she dated, he was just too shallow for her liking. She hasn't been able to find a guy who could actually hold her attention so till then she'll remain single. It's not like she was actually actively searching anyway.

Nat quickly grabbed her laptop from her work desk before she could talk her self out of her silly idea. She typed what she was searching for and opened the first site that popped up. It was time to do some serious human evaluation.

***PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW IF YOU ENJOYED.***