Chapter Twenty-One

Mulai dari awal

A fleeting wish for it to be Sam passed through my mind before it had time to register that it wasn't him.

It was Nox.

He said nothing as I took in his clean clothes, no blood stains or burn marks, but my eyes traveled back to his where they were met with a troublesome look.

 "Nox." My voice rang out loud and clear in the small confinement of the room. I attempted to sit up, trying to be careful with my bruised body, but surprised myself when I did it in a fluid and not to mention fast move. I blinked and turned my body towards Nox, letting my legs dangle over the makeshift bed that had been created from wooden boards and planks boxed on top of each other, topped with a thick white cover.

My amazed expression only caused Nox to look, if possible, even more pained than before. I frowned at his reaction.

"What's wrong?" I asked and before I had time to tell my brain what to do I was standing in front of him. "What happened?" I expected my heart to leap into acceleration, but instead I felt nothing. I must have been calmer than I thought.

Nox looked up at my looming figure, a flicker of surprise registered on his face and he moved his hands down to his lap, letting them rest against his thighs.

"How do you feel?" He asked with a voice bare of emotion. How did I feel? I felt, I felt good. I felt clearheaded and refreshed and stronger than I had before. All the sleep I had gotten must have done wonders to me. I wondered how long I'd been out for, but Nox didn't answer my silent question. He was always protruding my thoughts, so it was strange not to feel intruded on. 

"I feel good, better than ever actually."

"I figured."

"Can we skip the weird pleasantries? What happened and how long was I out?" I watched as Nox rose slowly from his seat and went past me to pace the room with slow and deliberate steps.

"How many hours was I out?" I asked and Nox stopped in his tracks for a second, only to start pacing again.

"It wasn't hours," he muttered under his breath, but I caught every word as if he'd spoken right in front of me.

"Days then?"

He nodded.

"How many?"

He didn't look up as he spoke. "Three."

I'd been out cold for three whole days? No wonder I felt so rejuvenated and calm.

"Isn't there something else you want to ask me?"

I looked over at Nox who was now staring at me, patiently waiting for me to catch up to him. Then I realised I didn't even know why I was alive? The last thing I'd seen was Shax throwing a red energy ball towards me and then the rest was sort of...blurry.

"Shax he...he succeeded-"

Nox cut me off. "Yes, he succeeded in retrieving a great amount of your powers and he seemed clearly able in how to use them." His voice was brisk and it annoyed me when he clearly didn't have a reason for it, or did he?

"Nox what's wrong? You're acting strange," I said and crossed my arms across my chest. He looked just south of my face and even though I should have blushed, I didn't feel hot in my face at all. He nodded towards my chest.

"Do you feel anything?"

What kind of a question was that? Was there something I wasn't supposed to be feeling? I scrunched up my face, but it slowly smoothed back out when his words started sinking in. I wasn't feeling anything. My right hand flattened against my chest and I stood still and waited for that slow familiar rhythm of my heart. But it never came.