Chapter Nine

I walked backwards further into my room until I felt the bed against me. I sat down awkwardly, keeping my eyes on the handsome young vampire who was inching closer with every second. Samuel stopped at a safe distance from me and pulled out the chair from under the desk and sat down on it.

"All of this," he mimicked my hand gesture and waved it around, "all of this belongs to Shax and it has for as long as I've known him." My mouth spit out the first question before he opened his.

"How long have you known him?" I asked, settling in more comfortably on the large bed, silently approving the softness of the mattress and couldn't help looking forward to actually sleeping in it. Sleeping in a real bed was a rare thing and one I hadn't enjoyed since I was a kid.

Samuel was looking at me, and for a second time today I wondered whether or not all vampires could read minds. Maybe that's what you should be asking instead. I agreed with the voice in my head.

"I've worked for Shax nearly all my life as a vampire," he responded softly, a little distant as if he knew I was thinking about something else entirely. I felt my cheeks slightly flush and noticed how his smile grew just a fraction wider.

"I was just wondering if all vampires, like Nox, can um, read minds." I kept my focus on him even though it was hard. God he was hand... I stopped in mid-thought. I should hear the answer before stepping further into something I couldn't get out of.

Samuel cocked his head as he stared at me before letting out a throaty chuckle.

"I wish, but Nox is the only vampire with extra freaky abilities that I've ever come across." He seemed to think for a moment before adding," I don't know why he can. He never explained it, not that I think there's an explanation for it." I nodded slowly, at least that was one less thing I needed to worry about with these bloodsuckers.
All I had to do was watch my thoughts around Nox and I'd be safe. As safe as you could be in this company anyways, I added dryly.

I had started fiddling with the bracelet and noticed Samuel's eyes fixated on it. I pulled my sleeve up to cover it and was met by a knowing look.

"How long have you known?," he asked, almost confirming some suspicion he'd had against me, maybe trying to figure out why I was here in the first place.

I looked away and just nodded.

"I.. I didn't know until, just until the night Nox found me actually," I mumbled, trying to keep my voice even as I was taken back to the events that had occurred when I had met Nox. I didn't want to think about it, about them. I shut my eyes and forced the thought away.

Even with my eyes closed I could feel Samuel's stare on me and it was really unnerving. Especially given the fact that we were all alone in this lavish room and the door was closed.
I guess if it came down to it, getting your blood drained from an insanely hot vampire couldn't be the worst right? Then again, even an insanely hot vampire like Samuel wouldn't be getting anywhere near my neck or any other vein in my body as damn long as I could prevent it.
I would defend myself until the end, which wouldn't be any time soon.

Why the hell was I even thinking these things? Jeez, get those thoughts out of your head girl. Getting cosy with a vamp is not on your survival to-do list!

Returning Samuel's look, I diverted my rambling battle thoughts to something a little more, I don't know, settling.

"So what's your story, Sam? Do you mind if I call you Sam?" I asked, trying as much as I could to calm myself from the unsettling present thought that at any minute now, he'd jump me and bite me.

He smiled at me and it made my body relax somehow. Despite his eyes, he just seemed so normal.

"Sure, Sam is fine," he said and leaned back in the chair, getting comfortable.