Steve Rogers x Bucky Barnes | Birthday Cuddles

The first present Steve gets, apart from the daylight breaking through each window of the flat, is a steaming cup of coffee, his favourite kind.

Of course, it comes with a gentle kiss from Bucky and a "happy birthday, jerk" that revives just the necessary amount of nostalgia for a birthday morning.

Still a bit sleepy, the blonde murmurs "thank you" and lifts himself up on his elbows, giving his boyfriend a drowsy smile. It was hard to believe Bucky got up first only to make him a cup of coffee and carry it to their bed; it showed how much of a sweetheart he was.

Or how much of a sweetheart he was on Steve's birthday only, because otherwise Bucky would probably still be asleep, having never picked up on Cap's habit to wake up before 8am. No one could drag him out of bed before nine without expecting hours of grumpiness. No one besides Steve celebrating his 100th birthday.

"Would you get mad if I went back to sleep?" Bucky chuckles, returning next to Steve.

He stretches out and kisses him on the cheek, bumping his nose into his. The blonde giggles and pecks him on the lips to get him back, realising how much of a disgustingly-cheesy couple they are. But they hadn't got iced for over 70 years not to enjoy each other now!

"It's fine," Steve says, bringing the mug to his mouth. "I'll savour the coffee while you catch up on your sleeping schedule."

"I wish" the brunette laughs softly, "We've got places to be, but that's a little bit of a surprise, so for now is it too much to ask to cuddle with my boyfriend?"

"No, it's not too much to ask" Steve rolls over, sliding his arms onto Bucky's back and grins at him. It is warm and familiar, studded with old scars he knew all too well, having tried to kiss their hurt away so many times. "Come here."

Bucky wraps his limbs around Steve, their legs interlacing under the covers and their skin mixing up together, every part of their bodies knowing where to go. He runs his fingers into the blonde's hair, ruffling it at the back, and kisses him again. A kiss infused with thousands unspoken words and apologies.

To the brunette, Steve feels curative and tastes like the hope of a lasting happiness. However, even though Bucky has told him so many times, the Captain could never know the impact he had on him.

All he's ever wanted was to make Bucky feel loved, welcome, safe; things he had been denied for so long. He wished he was enough for him.

What was between them went beyond words, it was deep, carved into their history — something that they shared even before the Second World War  broke out and that both of them had tried to voice, hoping for the other to fully understand how much they meant to them.

But right now, everything seems easy, childlike, right, so what ends up summing up their feelings is a three-words-long sentence.