"Which makes this harder," Phil clarified.

"Yeah, but I'm still dating a prince. Oh my god if we got married I could help rule the sea!" Dan said excitedly and Phil couldn't help but smile.

"I don't know how you've managed to cheer me up by saying that," Phil said and Dan pecked his cheek.

"It's because you love me. Probably. Human magic or something," Dan said and Phil chuckled.

"Whatever you say, curly-top," Phil replied and ruffled his hair and Dan groaned. "You may as well stop bothering to straighten it as it always just gets wet," Phil told him reasonably. "I splash you even if you don't come swimming,"

"I may as well just live in my swim shorts," Dan said.

"Dan, are you still sure about seeing me? Now you know how dangerous it is?" Phil asked and Dan nodded.

"Phil I jumped into the water when it was a storm to try and save you, of course I will take the risk to be with you," Dan told him truthfully and Phil kissed him.

"I really do love you. I wish you could live with me," Phil told him and Dan nodded in agreement.

"I want to see where you live if I'm really honest. But having legs and lungs designed for oxygen doesn't make that possible. Hey, how do you breathe underwater, you don't have gils that I can see, right?" Dan asked and Phil grinned.

"Mermaid anatomy is quite complicated compared to yours really. But we have two pairs of lungs which is also how we can talk normally underwater, and they switch to adapt to our situation," Phil said and Dan rolled his eyes.

"So you're amazing at breathing in simple terms?" Dan asked and Phil nodded.

"Yup. Anything else to ask about mermaids?"

"How do you guys like, reproduce?l" Dan asked a little more awkwardly and Phil laughed.

"How do you think we do it?" He asked, challengingly.

"I don't know, like fish or something?" Dan asked, hoping he wasn't being offensive to his boyfriend.

"Oh Dan," Phil smiled as if he was an idiot.

"What? You're a different species I only know fairy stories about, and those don't even involve the characters fucking, you can't expect me to guess right," Dan said defensively and Phil laughed.

"Fine fine," Phil said, rolling his eyes. "Like humans we like sex for pleasure so it's not like fish, but you will probably find it weird and-"

"Okay don't tell me. I'd rather not know actually," Dan said, blushing furiously.

"Really? Wow you definitely are 4 years younger than me," Phil chuckled and Dan scowled.

"Hey! Age has nothing to do with maturity. I just don't want to throw up," Dan said defensively.

"Dan!" Phil protested but Dan quickly ducked down into the water smiling, trying to swim away but he instantly felt arms around his waist and swimming just below him was Phil, who reached up and pecked his lips. "You're an idiot and so rude and I should let you drown," Phil told him and Dan had to try not to laugh before shaking his head fondly, meaning 'like you ever would'. "Yeah, you're right, I love you too much for that." He grinned, before kissing him again.

Dan really did love underwater kisses.

*

"Dan? Daniel! Human!"

"What?" Dan asked, snapping out of his gaze.

"You were staring at me and I got a little freaked out when you didn't respond. Is there seaweed on my face?" He asked and Dan giggled.