Part One: Chapter Eight

Two hours ticked by quickly. Amelie was anxious, but was trying not to look it. She faced slightly away from the camera in her room, playing a game of solitaire to keep her mind off of the building anxiety in her gut.

She glanced at the clock, and then shifted her eyes down to Loki. He seemed to nod, as if telling her something was going to happen.

To be truthful, she didn't know if she was going to help Loki. She trusted him, and he did seem to trust her... but going against SHIELD was just as dangerous as going against Hydra. It was a bold move to align herself with what she perceived to be the enemy.

However that perception has changed.

Steve couldn't keep his word. Neither could Coulson or Natasha. Despite all of them being people she trusted, Loki made it clear she couldn't trust them anymore. They were being just as deceitful as Dr. Strucker.

She remembered how she thought of him as a father figure. He made it seem as if they were the victims. That Amelie had an illness that needed to be cured. She went along with it- thinking that all of this 'treatment' could be helpful.

Then she learned how to tap into radio waves. That's when she heard the real conversations.

Before Amelie could look to Loki again, the ship lurched roughly to the right, sending the young girl tumbling off the bed. The power in her room shut off, leaving her in dimmed lighting. There were explosions in the distance- and gunfire. Footsteps raced past Amelie's room- towards the source of danger.

Sorely she got to her feet, sliding the pack of cards into the pocket of her windbreaker. As she approached the door, she didn't hear the hum of electromagnetic energy.

"Go." Loki said to her- appearing in her room once more as the illusion. Amelie turned, eyes wide as nerves raced through her mind, "Go. I'll meet you on the ship. Remember to bring the spear."

Quickly she nodded, turning around the face the door. Using her abilities she busted the door open, allowing her to step out into the hallway. Hands shaking by her sides, Amelie noticed the pair of shoes left out for her- plain sneakers that laced up. She looked around the hall- not a soul in sight- and carefully slid the shoes on. They were slightly tight on her feet, but they were shoes nonetheless.

The ship shook once more, the floor slanted slightly as the helicarrier swayed in the air. The eleven year-old gripped the wall with a clammy, shaky hand, walking briskly as she retraced her steps to where she last saw Loki's spear.

Amelie only hoped that she wouldn't run into anyone. They would try to stop her- and she didn't want to hurt anyone anymore. She just wanted to go somewhere where she was understood. Loki seemed to offer that.

Carefully sneaking through the halls, she eventually came to the Lab. It was a wreck, with glass everywhere and half the floor missing. This must have been where Loki's allies attacked the helicarrier. Covering her mouth and nose with her sleeve, Amelie coughed on the thinning smoke.

I am glad I have shoes. The glass was everywhere, scattered in all directions. Amelie was able to walk on top of it- crunching the broken glass under the sturdy soles of her shoes. Quickly she searched the lab- looking for the glowing spear that she needed to get before she was able to leave this place.

Then she felt it- the power tugging in the back of her mind.

Amelie turned around, relieved to see the spear lying on the floor in one piece. Walking over their, she dug it out of a small pile of dust and broken equipment. The tip of the spear still glowed bright blue- the clash of power causing Amelie's temples to throb. The power in her body desperately wanted to connect with the power in the spear. Each vessel- herself and the spear- were mediums for which the power could grow. The only thing keeping that back was whatever technology the spear was crafted from, and the years of Hydra's experimentation on Amelie's control.