three. sundowning and relics

Börja om från början

"Any suggestions?"

"It doesn't matter as long as she's safe."  Scott walk out the door, but Malia hesitates.

"Kidnap her," she tells Liam.

"Do not kidnap her!" Scott says from outside.

By the end of the school day, Liam and the others figured out a way to keep Gwen safe.  However, it happened to be taking place in Scott's house and they were going to be surrounded by other people because their idea included throwing a party.  Liam walks with me out of the school building.  We see my truck pulled up behind the bike racks and from where we're standing, we can see Charlie's silhouette inside.

"So, that's your brother?" Liam asks me as we approach the truck.

I nod, "Yup."

We stop at the edge of the bike racks, where Liam and I could see directly into the windshield of the truck.  Liam stares down Charlie, and Charlie holds his own to stare him down right back.  Since we're both just staring at him, it's easier for me to study the difference of how he looked when we were kids compared to now.  His hair is way longer, not long enough to tie in a bun, and he has a full beard which I know for a fact he couldn't grow one for shit back then.  He has a more of a man's build instead of a boyish, scrawny build.  I shouldn't be surprised.  Turns out my family moved all the way to Texas and bought a ranch where they raise cows, pigs, horses, and a range of other animals and sell them to make good money.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to text me," Liam tells me.  I smile down at him and ruffle his hair.

"Don't worry, Liam.  But same thing goes for you.  I may not be able to be there the whole time, but if you're in serious trouble get ahold of me."

"I will," he says, but I don't believe him.  When he catches the incredulous look on my face, he repeats, "I will.  I promise."

"Okay, I'll see you later," I sigh as I open the passenger side door and climb in.

The first thing Charlie says as I get in is, "You took your sweet ol' time, didn't you?"

I glare at him and reply, "You have somewhere to be?"

He shakes his head and starts the truck before pulling out of the parking lot.  When we're on the road and heading home, an awkward silence fills the air.

"So," I start, "are you going to tell me why you're here?"

"I already told you.  I wanted to see you."

"Bullshit," I tell him.  "If you really wanted to see me, you would've tried to way before now."

"I'm telling you the truth, Luna."

"Yeah, right."

"It doesn't even matter what I say because you won't believe me."

Charlie's temper is rising the longer the conversation is going.  I can tell by the heaving of his chest and rising of his heart rate.  It throws me off because he used to never have a temper.  He was always the level-headed one of us all since the next three kids were werewolves whose tempers raised with every conflict.  I stare at the side of his face, trying to find the internal change in him.  He side eyes me and sighs.

"What?" He asks.

"You never used to lose your cool like this."

"Things change, Luna.  People you've known your whole lives can turn for the worse," his voice is quiet on the last part, but his chemosignals tells me his feelings of sorrow and longing.

"Charlie, what are you talking about?" My voice is quiet as await his answer.

"Did you forget that you were dad's favorite?"  Charlie's not saying it in a spiteful way, but more of an informative way.  "You were the kid who came out with the blue hair.  He knew exactly what he had to do with you because that's how he was raised.  But when he found out what you did, or didn't do," he adds when he sees the look on my face, "it's like the old him stayed here and a new one went with us.  He has no patience for anything or anyone.  He doesn't take anyone's bullshit.  You listen to him or face the consequences."