treize

English class felt different that day. Jaemin and Jeno were too used to passing notes in class to stop just because the object of said notes wasn't present. They both felt weird, and the vacant seat between them made them feel empty. 

Jaemin scribbled down something on the note he had taken out of his English folder, and put it on Renjun's chair. Jeno spied the movement, and reached out to take it when the teacher had turned back to the whiteboard. 

I miss renny 

_

To Jeno, it felt different holding and reading the note, knowing that Renjun hadn't touched it. 

_

me too, jaemin

The two felt like there was nothing more to be discussed, and only one note was passed, both sides used. Jeno took the note after class, folded it neatly and tossed it into the bin, forgotten. 

At lunch, the four friends met up outside the lunch hall, then headed to Renjun's locker, just because. When they stopped right where Renjun usually got his books, they stood there in silence for a bit, no one saying anything. It was a sad, yet comfortable silence. Jeno, remembering there was something to discuss, cleared his throat awkwardly. "So, Chenle, why... why was it important that Renjun's dad texted him? Does he not do that often?" 

Chenle stopped looking at Renjun's locker, and looked at them with a sad smile on his face. "No, he doesn't. In fact," his ever extra ass started counting on his fingers with a overly thoughtful look on his face, "In fact, he hasn't attempted to contact Renjun in 9 years!" 

Jisung gasped, "It's been that long since his mom dumped his dad? And he never tried to contact Renjun at all? That is a really jerky move."

"Yeah, what a dickhead, who actually does that," Jaemin huffed. Chenle nodded like "I know right?" while Jisung gasped beside him. Ignoring him, Jaemin continued, "The fuck goes on in Renjun's house, he-"

"Wait- Jisung, you said Renjun's mom dumped her dad? Why?" Jeno interrupted Jaemin shamelessly, dressing Jisung while Jaemin fumed quietly beside him. "Didn't I tell you guys?" Chenle tilted his head questioningly at them. "Renjun's dad came out to as pan to his mom and they divorced the next day. She took both his kids, Renjun said he didn't even get to say goodbye."

"WHAT A BITCH!" yelled Jeno, half in shock and half in pure contempt. "I'm about to throw hands." Jaemin turned his head to the ceiling and cupped the back of his neck with his hands. (The girl putting her books away a three or four lockers down sighed and rested her head against her locker.) "I know! I hate her so much, but Renjun never says anything about her. I guess she would only hate you if you're gay or something." 

"Well- uh- should we do anything?" said Jaemin, looking at Chenle. "You would know his address, right? Invite us and we'll head on over to see if he's like, okay." "Nada," Chenle replied sadly, shaking his head, "I'm grounded for the next two months. Because of someone, " he said, looking hypothetically at Jisung, who raised his hands in defeat. 

"I won't ask," said Jeno, his eyebrows raised nevertheless, "And you can't just sneak out or something?" he asked Chenle. "Again, no, I am under constant supervision outside of school, and Hyojong- my supervisor- will send out a fucking search party if they call saying I didn't come into class." (Jisung shook his head, giving up.)

Jeno ran a hand through his hair, a habit of his (which was actually causing Jaemin a slow and blissful death) "Can't you just tell your parents it's super important? Just for today, to go see your best friend, who may or may not be in a perilous situation?" 

"Well, when you put it that way... they still won't let me go because number one, they are on a business trip and will not actually be listening to my reasons, probably having better things to do, and number two, why would you let your kid go to his best friend's house when he's meant to be grounded?" Jaemin looked at Jeno like "the fuck kinda reason is that?" 

"Because," said Chenle irritably, and Jaemin realised his dire mistake; he had spoken out loud. "Even though they are barely present and I am raised by my maids, they are still extremely overbearing. If they heard I, for example, left my house when I was told not to, even if they are told about it a week later through a phone call, my punishment will be doubled, and perhaps my phone taken away. That's the tea."

"Well, can you give us his address then? We'll just go see him after school; me and Jeno are both free-," Jaemin turned to the aforementioned to make sure he was correct, earning a nod, "-so we can go to see him after school. We'll be going at half four though, we're staying to help Mr Porter after school for an hour." Chenle cocked his head, "Why? You don't seem like the pair to voluntarily take part in something like that." 

Jeno chuckled, "We're kinda failing English, we're hoping that it'll earn us few points." Jaemin shoved him playfully, "It's not funny, we are failing English, babe." Jeno laughed, his eyes curving into precious little crescents. Jaemin's heart performed a series of dance moves from Giddy Up.

Chenle smiled at their banter, and noted it down for reference. "Back to the matter at hand," Jisung reminded suddenly after he was finished admiring his boyfriend's little smile. "Yeah, Jisung's right. Renjun's address?" 

So Chenle spent a short amount of time explaining Renjun's address to the two whipped-ass students, adding in an "across from the house with a vine on their fence, beside the red brick one" as an afterthought. 

Seven minutes before classes restarted, the four separated ways to retrieve their books from their lockers, plans made, refined and ready to be turned completely off-course. 

🀱🀳🁉🁇🀸🀱

thank you for reading this uncooked egg of an update!

I've noticed that I'm updating regularly every two days,, I may not be able to update as religiously next time round. ill be off somewhere in the northern regions of my country for the next two days. sorry!