Their Paid Girl - Part 35

Start from the beginning

          Sighing, I got into the elevator and decided to do the mature thing.

          I stood in the corner and sulked.

          Adam paid me no mind, patiently waiting for me to get out on the ground floor before we left the building, getting into his car. Liam was nowhere in sight, so I didn’t get the chance to say goodbye to him, either.

          It bothered me that Adam didn’t pay attention to me when I was being childish. I gave him a look which he didn’t even see because he was too busy serenely enjoying the drive. I gave a loud, annoyed sigh, giving up.

          When we got back to the campus, Adam dropped me off outside my dorm first. I hesitated before getting out of his car, debating whether I should ask him or not. Clearly, Adam knew about whatever was happening this week that would prevent me from seeing my Angel. Adam must have sensed my indecision because he gave me a questioning glance. He was so attractive and gorgeous in that moment, causing my heart to completely melt, that I silently got out of his car.

          “Thanks for coming along today,” I told him.

          “No problem,” he gave me a half-smile, bringing just one corner of his lips up. “See you soon, Shawna,” he said, and then he drove off, leaving me standing with a queer, unidentifiable ache in my chest.

***

          The next day, I got up early to work on the big paper I’d told Adam I needed to finish. So I hadn’t been lying to him, exactly.

          But towards four o’clock, I slowly started getting ready for my paid date with Jared Wilkes. I preferred not to think about what Adam would do to me if he happened to drop by and saw that I still fully intended on going on that date. Being duct-taped to my bedpost would be the least of my worries, I was sure.

          Jared had texted me a few days earlier, saying that it would just be a casual dinner at his house, and to be on my ‘best behaviour’ because his parents had high expectations.

          I ignored the patronizing tone of his message and instead focused on finding a suitable outfit to wear for that evening. I finally settled on a pretty, knee-length green dress that brought out my eyes, and a pair of elegant black heels. I combed out my hair into their natural waves, and then applied just enough make-up so that it was barely noticeable, yet still accented the shape of my eyes and colouring of my lips.

          By four forty-five I was ready, and had nothing to do but wait until five for Jared to pick me up. Esther wasn’t around to distract me, so I glided over to my laptop and stared in utter boredom at the computer screen where it was still open to my finished paper, which had been a royal pain in the butt to write.

          Thoughts of Adam had been swirling in my mind all day, and an anxious twist in my stomach had appeared, because I was about to do exactly what he’d forbidden me to do. I knew perfectly well that Adam had no say in my life or choices, but when word got out about my fake date with Jared – and I had no doubt it would – running into Adam alone was a terrifying thought.

          I’d probably have to find Esther and forbid her to leave my side for even a second after tonight. I didn’t think he’d murder me with Esther watching. At least, I hoped that her presence would be enough to buy me a few seconds to explain how much I needed this money.

          I glanced at the clock and saw that my worrying hadn’t passed any time at all, so I turned back to my computer, fingertips hovering over the keyboard. Because I still retained my dignity and pride, I refused the urge to google-stalk Adam.