Chapter 1: Getting to Know You

"This is going to be such a crap year," Leighton said to herself as she walked to her first period class. None of her best friends were in any of her classes, mostly because they didn't care about school as much as she did. She was ahead of most of the sophomores, taking the junior math and science classes. School was her life and her gateway to a successful future. Her mom even made the rule that she wasn't allowed to date until after college. But Leighton was fine with it, it's not like she would date anyone in her grade anyway. Even when she did like someone, they either didn't like her back or were leading her on. Then there were the guys that liked her but she didn't reciprocate the feelings.

        She settled down in the desk closest to the door, waiting for someone she knew to approach her. I guess I'm going to be on Instagram this entire period, she thought. Pulling out her phone from her back pocket, she immediately recieved a text from Ander. "Thanks for saying 'Hi" to me :(," it said. She smiled. Typical Ander. She looked over her shoulder and there he was: tall, tanned, and totally hot. I still can't believe he's my best friend. He's totally out of my league. He gave her one of his world famous derp faces and she giggled like crazy. A whole summer without him, besides the Snapchats and weekly texts, was almost impossible. They had gotten so close at the end of freshman year, a three months break scared her a little. What if it's different? What if we can't go back to the way we were before break? Being a girl was so complicated. From time to time, you start to overthink everything and expect the worst because you think that happiness is temporary and something bad is bound to happen to test you. Leighton picked up her stuff and went over to Ander, taking the desk right next to him.

        "Sooooo did you miss me over break?" he asked her with a wink.

        "TOTALLY!" she said, "Did you hear the sarcasm?" He frowned a little, like a puppy that realized his owners are leaving him for vacation. She noticed the muscle he gained from playing soccer. Damn, he got hot over the summer. He used to have noodle arms and chicken legs!

        "You're so mean!" He took her notebook and scribbled "#swag" on the front and "#yolo" on the back. "Your notebook has more swag than you! HA!"

        "Shut up! I hate you!" She giggled again. I really have to stop doing that, no wonder all my friends call me a flirt.

        "Alright, class, clear your desks. Time for a quiz!" Ander and Leighton looked at each other, Ander giving her his "please let me copy off of you" face and Leighton giving him her "fuck off loser do it yourself" face.

 _______________________________________________________________________________

        Finally, 8th period, algebra. You love math, this will be easy. Just this, tennis practice, and you're back home.

        "Third class we have together this year, Leighton, I think it's a sign." Ander winked at her and smiled.

        "Stop doing that! Do you like me or something?" she asked, watching his reaction very carefully. Body language does speak louder than words. Even the slightest hesitance would prove that whatever he was about to say was  a lie.

        "No!" Ander chuckled at himself, "You know I'm just kidding right? You're my best friend!"

       "TONY! OH MY GOSH!" It was Mandy, Leighton's ex-best friend. Back in elementary school, Mandy and Leighton were inseparable. Little Leighton, or Tony as Mandy would like to call her, was being the usual kindergartener, running around and playing on the monkey bars. All of a sudden, a little boy pushed her to the ground and she bawled her eyes out. Mandy was the only one that came up to her and tried to make her feel better. "Wanna see my teddy bear?" she had asked and proceeded to pull out a tiny, sparkly charm to show her. Since then up until fourth grade, they were the best of friends. They were so close that for second grade class pictures, the teacher labelled Mandy as Leighton and Leighton as Mandy. Fourth grade was the first time they didn't have the same teacher, and that's when they started growing apart. Middle school was worse. Popularity and fitting in was all that Mandy cared about and Leighton was no longer a priority of hers. Leighton knew it would be easy for Mandy to climb the social ladder all the way to the top. She was gorgeous. Perfectly tan, clear skin, big boobs, and a wild personality. Leighton was just plain Jane. The only nice thing about her was her silky, straight hair and big eyes. Mandy managed to befriend the most popular girl in their grade and stayed with that group for a while until play corrupted her mind. Performing in front of a crowd of people was her new goal, and she ditched her popularity for the outsiders of the school. The play people were anything but ordinary, and they stuck to each other like glue. Sure, they had extraordinary talent, but that wasn't any better than the people in band and orchestra at their school. There were a bunch of dirty stories that went around school about them.

        "Hey Mandy! Oh my gosh, I haven't had a class with you in forever!" Leighton exclaimed as she stood up to give her one of those "I haven't seen you in forever" hugs.

        "Jen's in here too! She had to get her schedule changed because they put her in the advanced history class instead of regular honors!"

        "No way! This is going to be great!"

        "I know! I'm so excited! Oh, hey, Ander!" Mandy said, grimacing after saying his name.

        "Hey, Mandy," he answered back with reflecting Mandy's disgusted look. What's up with them? Do they know each other from somewhere? Leighton looked from Ander to Mandy, waiting for someone to say something. Unfortunately, the bell rang and class was in session. Note to self: Ask Ander about that whole exchange later.

 _______________________________________________________________________________

        Leighton arrived home and immediately made herself a sandwich, even though sophomore lunch was 7th period and she had 2 boats of smiley fries. "So how was school?" her mom asked, as every parent would after the first day of school.

        "Pretty good, Ander's in three of my classes and Mandy and Jen are in one. I think it's going to be an interesting year."

        "Good! No boyfriend yet, right?" She laughed. She knew her daughter wouldn't do anything behind her back, she was a good seed. 

        "Nope! You know me, I hate everyone in my grade." Leighton sighed and took another bite of her sandwich.

        "Okay! I'm going back to sleep I have work tonight. Don't bother me." Her mom went back upstairs and the sound of the closing door signaled Leighton to take out her phone. She typed out, "So what's up with you and Mandy hmm???" and sent it to Ander. This is going to be good. A few minutes later, her phone vibrated.

        "Nothing! She always acts like that around me so I do the same. We were in the same classes in middle school. How do you know her?" Ander replied. Nah nah there's definitely something more. This loser better tell me, I'm his best friend.

        "Aw c'mon! No gossip? ;)"

        "Okay, I may have liked her for a little bit in 8th grade but that's it. I don't like her anymore!"

        "Uh huh, sureeeee ;)"

        "Shut up! No one likes you!" Ander texted. "OOOOO need some ice for that burn?"

        I seriously hate him. Leighton laughed and rolled her eyes. "Bye." She finished her sandwich and headed for the bathroom. Nothing like a shower to end the day.