Chapter Four: Take Me With You

Y/N's P.O.V.

We stop by a stand to get snacks. Killua orders a chocolate dipped apple with sprinkles all over it. He offers me a bite.

"No thanks," I cover my mouth full of chips,
the inside of my mouth muffling the crunch. "I already have nachos."

His face scrunches into disgust, "Your loss."

By the time we make it to the Ferris wheel, a few people are already lined up. It takes a few minutes for our turn to come, and the whole time I hear the sound of Killua taking big bites of his apple.

After we've paid for our ride, we sit next to each other in one seat. My stomach lurches as we start rising. I completely forgot about my fear of heights.

"You okay there?" Killua asks casually. "You look like you're about to throw up, Y/N."

I close my eyes and focus on steadying my breathing. "Yes, I'm fine." I can feel his eyes on me. "Why would you say that?"

"Are you scared of heights?" There's a hint of teasing in his voice, our shoulders brushing as I feel him lean in.

"Maybe."

Instead of him bursting out with laughter like I was expecting him to, he whispered, "Do you want me to hold your hand?"

I opened my eyes again. He was smiling.

"No, thanks," I said, hiding the tiny hint of blush making its way to my cheeks. As we went higher and higher, I began hyperventilating. I needed a paper bag. Now.

"Y/N—"

"—you called yourself an ex-assassin," I interrupt him, not sure I can take any more of this torture. We were at the peak now. "Does that mean you stopped killing people?"

He hesitates, "Yeah."

"Why?"

"There was a person . . ." he trails on. "He made me stop. Made me realize that I can be good, too. But he's gone now."

"Oh." I look down. "I'm sorry."

"He's not dead!" Killua jumps forward, bumping knees with me.

With all the talking, I didn't even realize that the Ferris wheel stopped. It wasn't until the guy controlling the ride yelled at us to stay calm that I was aware of the problem.

"We're just having some complications!" He called. "Don't. Worry."

Killua blinked, his face unreadable. Then he started laughing. He looked at me once he started calming down but there must have been something funny about my face because he went back to laughing again. I think I saw a single tear slip down his face.

"Are you having a seizure?" I ask blandly.

He runs a hand through his soft looking hair, shaking his head several times before mustering up the strength to talk again. "No, sorry. I just haven't had this much fun in a while."

I don't know why he admits this. Maybe it's the way he's staring at me, as if he can see through my walls— at the girl waiting for the right day to escape and never come back. Maybe it's our seat being shaken up.

But my voice quivers when I say, "I want to hold your hand now!"

The teenage boy next to me blinks. His thoughts are written all over his expression: Did I hear her right?

"What made you change your mind?"

"I don't know," I tell the truth.

"Okay," he whispers, opening his palm. "Go ahead." I might have imagined it— it was pretty dark after all— but his cheeks were the lightest shade of pink.

I was about to offer my hand when the Ferris wheel started working again. We exchanged an awkward look before I snatched away my hand.

"Pretend that never happened?" Killua asked.

"Deal."

Fireworks exploded above our heads. "Wow!" I giggled, forgetting for a moment what I have to come home to.

"Yeah," Killua murmurs. "Wow."

The ride is over. I've completed my end of the deal. Now there's nothing else for us to do. We have to go our separate ways.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

We walk silently back to the entrance. There, Killua offers to take me home.

"I don't want to go home."

"What do you mean?" He asks, tilting his head, white strands casting a shadow over his eye.

"Take me with you." I don't care if I have to beg him. Plead. Fall on my knees. If that's what it takes, I'll do it.

His expression darkens, "No."

"Please." My voice is so desperate, but I don't care. "I can't go home."

Something clicks for him, recognition crossing his face. His eyes soften then. "Come here."

I oblige, walking to him. Killua turns me around gently, his fingers delicate brushes over my body, the canvas. I shiver as he lifts my shirt.

His breath catches, "Did your family do this to you?"

When I don't answer, he comes in front of me, cupping my face. Searching my eyes. "Answer me, Y/N."

"Yes," I break down. Hot, angry tears streaming over his fingers. Rather than pulling away, he wraps me in his arms. Finally being vulnerable with someone, I feel like a baby. A sentimental, loud crybaby.

"You can come with me." He gives in, nestling his chin on top of my head. "I'm sorry."

"I have to go home one last time." I tell him after I've stopped crying.

He nods, understanding what I mean. "I'll take you."