We'll Lead You

Major General Phineas Flynn
23rd Advance Special Operations Task Force
Callsign: Euclid
1643

I feel a sudden jolt underneath me, sending my eyelids flying open, my body erecting itself within a second. My head snaps to my left and then to my right, alert, ready for action. I look out the helicopter's window to see a familiar sight: a line of green quonset huts, overlooked by a massive control tower.

We were back at base... oh, thank god.

I hear the sound of a door opening and I quickly snap my neck to the impetus of the sound. I quietly watch as  the rest of my team slowly climb out of the helicopter and hit the concrete below them. Gretchen got out first, followed closely by a Emily. I shift my eyes to Ferb, who was just about to get out when he turned towards me. He hadn't taken off his balaclava, but I knew for a fact he was smiling.

"Morning," he teased me, "have a good nap?"

I nodded. I did have a good nap, which is odd seeing as I'm never tired in the afternoon, if anything, I'm at my peak in activity around this time...

I was gonna get out, but I felt something shift on my lap. I look down and almost instantly my eyes go wide and my face began to burn up. Isabella had taken up a position where she had her arms crossed over my thighs and her head resting on them, her legs crunched up almost to her chest.

Funny, I don't recall her being in this position when we rescued her...

Right then, I remembered what had happened during the rescue op. Baljeet, Adyson, Buford, Ginger.....I'm sorry.

I looked down at Isabella and remembered what they told me before....before they went down.

"She has the brains that can orchestrate any operation."

"She's the most important one."

"We know you love her and we know she loves you."

"If she gets hurt, your cause will fall apart. You will fall apart."

"Love is more cohesive..."

I blink hard and look down at the girl sleeping on my lap, and then flash a bittersweet smile. Even though I lost some of my closest friends, they were right by saying that she can aid in the orchestration of missions; she is very intelligent and she is quick on her feet. They were right by saying I couldn't lose Isabella to those...to those bastards; I wouldn't be able to bare with her loss, after all we've been through in our decade long friendship, not only would I miss her being on my side, I'd feel empty without her by my side, I'd lose all sense of purpose, all sense of optimism... all sense of enjoyment. I'd be void of any happiness...

My eyes began to well up with tears. I look down towards Isabella again, my hand running through her silky hair. I watch as a tear drop from my face and land on her temple, causing her to shuffle a little. Then she gradually turned onto her back, her beautiful face pointed towards me, her eyelids slowly lifting to reveal those beautiful sapphire eyes.

They were right. I did love Isabella, and I could never bare with her being hurt, physically or emotionally. I wanted to protect her from everything that posed so much as a minor threat to her and me. I feel....obligated to defend her, like it's my mission in life: to protect the love of my life.

I keep my eyes trained on her, a smile forming on my face, my heart beginning to pick up speed. Then I remember what had happened earlier today, and what happened after. Then I felt a somber feeling in me take form. What happened to her in the enemy base, what could've happened if we didn't rescue her in time. I felt another tear drip down my face. I feel horrible seeing her put in that position.