42 | THE PRODIGAL SUN RETURNS |

Start from the beginning

But she was good at pretending.

Two servants opened the grand doors of the throne room to reveal the entire guard and the Volturi leaders waiting for them. It was like a funeral with all the black formal wear and stoic dispositions, despite the gathering meant to welcoming them. There were a few eager faces amongst the crowd of red-eyed vampires, in want of hearing the interesting missions of the most prevalent guard members.

The five formed an inverted triangle shape before their masters, all bowing before the three kings in respect. With Felix and Demetri behind them, Rory found herself right in front of the ancient leaders of the vampire world with Alec and Jane.

"Ah, my children, you've all finally returned home," Aro spoke as if he were surprised by their appearance, the friendly tone easing the tension, although in he had really been well aware of their arrival. He ran his gaze over the vampires patronizingly and expectantly. "What reports do you bring from your missions?"

It may have been easier for the telepath to have just offered his hand, but it was clear he wanted the whole guard to hear of their expected triumph. Aro liked any excuse to show off. His gaze landed on Rory expectantly.

She had reassembled her Aurora facade—the cold, powerful newborn—as the Volturi fixed their attention on her. "The circumstances surrounding their reasons not to change Isabella Swan just yet were justifiable—the Cullens would have been hunted down and the main suspects if they were to all disappear," she explained cooly. Her observations excused the Cullen's reason for not following through with their agreement when they had come to Volterra. "She will be turned after her wedding to Edward Cullen wherein the disappearance is more explainable to the humans. I compelled them to do so even if they wanted to extend their deadline—they can't."

Although Caius and a few other vampires were clearly dissatisfied with the continued existence and proclaimed innocence of the coven, Aro smiled happily. He did truly treasure Carlisle Cullen and his brilliant mind. He would hate to put his friend's coven under trial.

"Clever girl," he remarked, not needing to touch her skin to confirm her words. "Any other interesting news?"

Rory's eyes roved around the room of expectant vampires who hardly cared what she had to say in all honesty. Most vampires disliked the Cullens, who preferred blending in the human community rather than feeding on them. Caius didn't mask his disdain for the coven, he looked almost suspicious of her report, unsatisfied with her corroborating with the coven. Rory had to reiterate her standing with the others.

"No other findings. They're all incredibly dull," she said convincingly, practicing her indifference. "Bella is probably the most interesting thing that's happened to their vegetarian lifestyle in years."

Laughter reverberated around the chamber, easing the anxiety she felt. They accepted her childish judgement and didn't press her for more information. She settled back into formation beside Alec.

Caius raised his brow, continuing the meeting. His sharp laser red stare landed on the other female in the group. "And Jane. You took your time in Seattle."

"Their creator was difficult to find." Jane glanced at Demetri pointedly, the male vampire glaring slightly at her as she continued to speak, "We followed them all the way to Forks. It appeared they were created to destroy the Cullens, a plot cleverly planned since the coven killed the creator's mate."

"How vicious," Marcus remarked apathetically.

"Luckily, the Cullens were able to defend themselves," Demetri nearly snorted at the turn of events.

Aro nodded understandably, his fingers touching in a triangular form. "Very lucky indeed."

"Aurora took care of the last newborns they didn't manage to end," Alec added smoothly, his eyes flickering over to her before returning to face the three leaders.