16 | FORMALITY |

"YOUR MOTHER IS very thorough," Jasper chuckled the moment Rory firmly closed her bedroom door shut with a small thud. Rory whirled around to face the vampire casually leaning against her headboard.

Jasper grinned toothily. "She checked every shadow of your room, convinced she would find me. I had to send her waves of content for her to go back downstairs."

"How much did you hear?" Rory asked as she sat beside him.

"...All of it," He admitted with a sheepish shrug. "I tried to tune it out mostly, then I was brought up to my surprise."

"My mother is a big fan of you," Rory rolled her eyes, before tensing slightly. "And the other part...despite my protests, she will put me back on birth control, regardless of whether or not we...have sex—she wants me to take precautions...Which leads me to the other thing I should confess to you and I hope it doesn't change anything."

Jasper reached out to hold her hand encouragingly as she paused for an awkward moment.

Rory pursed her lips and looked away from his deep, earnest golden eyes. He was too good for her. She sighed. "I'm not a virgin."

"I know." His mouth quirked to the side. "Me neither."

She blinked in relief, her anxiety had indeed clouded her reasoning. Jasper wouldn't have judged her no matter what; they were birds of a feather them two. They thought themselves as guilty sinners and of each other as forgiving angels.

"It would be kind of weird if you were a virgin still," Rory replied and both erupted into quiet laughter. Jasper settled first, shifting his position until they sat side by side, thighs pressed against each other.

"I may not have been with you first, but I intend to be with you until the end of time," Jasper whispered, brushing her hair behind her ear with a genuine glint of his eyes.

His sweet words registered with her bitterly. All a vampire has is time, immortality was endless. As much as she loved Jasper, she was tethered to her humanity. If she were to become a vampire, she'd have to leave her life, her mother—and Rory couldn't bring herself to do that to her mother. Not with everything they've lost.

She'd sacrifice her happiness for her mother.

"Jasper..." Rory exhaled his name slowly, savoring it's beautiful sound like it was her own personality symphony. "I don't want to become a vampire," she admitted.

Jasper wasn't angry or upset, more so disheartened by her choice. "...You don't?"

She was his forever, but he never thought forever would be so short. He turned his head down at the thought of continuing to exist in his eternal darkness without the light of Rory Aden to guide him.

"I want to be with you Jasper, you're my soulmate," Rory turned his face towards her so he could see the truth and love she felt for him in her eyes. "But I want to stay human. For my mother's sake above all others."

"I understand, sweetheart," Jasper nodded assuringly, knowing Rory was feeling anxious by the way she bit her lower pouty lip and the fast rhythm of her heart. "You deserve more than what immortality could ever offer you. More than whatever I could offer you."