We would sing it together, as a family, and I have not whispered a note of it since my mother's death.

I lean my head back, singing the soft melody into the night, tears flowing down my cheeks at the memory.

Suddenly the back door of the shrine slides open with a crash.

"(y/n), how is a fox supposed to sleep when you're out here in the middle of the night screaming like a banshee?" Tomoe asks, sounding annoyed. I turn my head sharply to see him rubbing his eyes and yawning. His eyes lock with mine, still fresh with tears.

Realization flashes across his face as embarrassment flashes across mine.

"(y/n)," he says, reaching out towards me, but I sprint toward the fence and jump over it easily, getting as far away from Tomoe as I can.

God I'm so stupid.

I rush to the nearest entrance to the world over yonder.

I looked like such an idiot.

I run into the world over yonder, not daring to peek behind me. I have no idea how far I have run when my head collides with a snakes's chest.

"Oh, my god, I'm sorry!" He says, frantically. I quickly lift myself to my feet, still worried about Tomoe following me.

"No, no its okay, it was my fault." I say, wiping my tears, looking around to realize that I've never been in this part of the world over yonder.

In a situation such as this, I should be on high alert, ready to defend myself and my honor at a moment's notice, but the snakes voice is melodic, and somehow it seems to calm the racing of my heart.

"Oh gods, you're crying, I must take you to my goddess immediately, my Lady Yonomori can help you." He says quickly, pulling my arm along with his.

His hand is soft.

"My name is Mizuki."

I don't fight him, knowing that another god's shrine is the last place that Tomoe would look for me.

I follow the white serpent blindly, not caring nearly enough to be worried about my own safety.

@@@@@@@@@@

I stayed a week at the goddess Yonomori's shrine. In that time Mizuki managed to teach me how to make his sacred sake, and Yonomori taught me how to be a lady, a favor to me, considering her friendship with my own god.

I much preferred the lax teachings of Mikage, however, I learned regardless, never knowing when skills such as proper eating and tea pouring might come in handy in the future.

Yet, I could feel that the end of my stay was growing near, whether it was the pitiful looks I was given from Mizuki, or a smell in the wind, I was not surprised when the snake eased next to me the morning that marked a week since my arrival.

"It's been a week, (y/n), Mikage is probably worried sick about you." Mizuki says, cautiously. I've been doing greats amount of pouting in the past week, not wanting to see pity on the stupid fox's face.

"Young one." Yonomori touches my head softly. I look up to the gracious god who has let me hide out in her shrine for the past week on a whim.

"It's time for you to go home child."

I nod softly, knowing I can't avoid Tomoe's wrath forever. Mizuki sends me off on his snake. Leaving me to my own thoughts throughout the entire journey back to my home

When I arrive, Mikage stands, waiting for me on the front steps of the shrine. I drop my head to my chest in shame.

"I'm sorry I was gone for so long." I whisper. He nods in response, placing an understanding hand on my head.

"You should go and tell Tomoe that you're okay. He wouldn't admit it, but I know that he's been worried about you." Mikage says, giving me a soft smile.

I walk inside the shrine and venture toward Tomoe's room. I hesitate, not knowing what Mikage meant by worried.

"Tomoe?" I ask, half expecting him to burst from his room and yell at me for abandoning the shrine for so long. Instead, the door slides open to reveal a tired looking Tomoe. Our eyes meet and his widen.

"You're back!" he says, engulfing me in an awkward hug, my arms squished against my sides. A slight blush creeps onto my cheeks from the gesture.

"Tomoe." I begin to say, but he interupts me.

"I thought you weren't coming back!" he says, squeezing me tighter. "You don't have to run away from me." he mumbles.

"Does this mean I'm your friend now?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood.

"You really are stupid aren't you," he says, resting his chin on top of my head. "What made you think you weren't."

I wrap my arms around him, welcoming the embrace.

"Thanks for worrying about me, Tomoe," I mutter into his kimono. "Next time I won't run from you."

@@@@@@@

"So, I see you two are pretty close now." Mikage says to Tomoe and I as the three of us sit inside, drinking some of Mizuki's sake. "Why wasn't i invited to your little hug session?" he says, his serious tone replaced by an obviously drunk Mikage.

"Because you're obnoxious." A completely sober Tomoe says, obviously toying with Mikage. Mikage makes a sad face at Tomoe and I can't help but laugh.

"Tomoe, don't say such a thing to your god!" Mikage whines, now sprawled in Tomoe's lap. The sight is too much for me and I burst into a fit of laughter.

"Ha ha, hilarious." Tomoe says sarcastically, glaring at me. This only throws me into another wave of laughter as Mikage continues to fuss over him.

"(y/n) help me get this drunkard off of me." Tomoe says as he attempts to shoo Mikage away with his fan. I laugh at the annoyed face Tomoe makes when I refuse. I can almost hear his voice saying "This is what I have to deal with." Meanwhile, I cant help but think how lucky I am to have this as my life.

Tomoe and I make eye contact, and I smile.

Something in my heart leaps at the sight of him smiling back at me.

@@@@@@@@

Tada! Done.

Hope u guys loved it.

Because I love you guys. <3

xoxo

Harleighkinz