To Be Alone (2/2)

Part Two

   The news spread like wildfire and sent a series of mixed emotions amongst the people of Arkas, both human and alien alike. While it was sad news, no one felt it quite like the overseers daughter herself, Marr.

She felt alone and cold, empty with nothing left to hold onto. A person which she loved with every fiber of her being and who raised her, who was her own flesh and blood, the light in her life, died without any warning or final words, if you don't count "can you make me 600 copies of this please" as his last words.

Marr felt she had nowhere left to go, no one to run to, until her close friend gave a visit to the closed-off-from-the-world mourning teenager. A set of three soft knocks hit the door. Marr turned to see the small square window where the visitor peaked through, giving a wide smile. Marr sniffed, picking herself up and leaning against the wall with the covers over her lap as she reached to the nightstand, taking a small remote and pressing a button which triggered the door to slide open sideways into the wall.

A close friend of Marr, Kastana Kel'nen walked though, plopping onto the soft bed next to her and looking over in total silence, her crystal blue eyes stabbing into Marr's, forcing a smile upon her face finally. Marr giggled, sniffed, then rest her head onto Kastana's shoulder as she wrapped her arm around her. "Why havent you called?" Kastana finally broke the silence.
"Haven't had the motivation." Marr replies, glancing to the watch phone charging on her nightstand attached to the wall.
"Well, in any case, just know that im'ma always be here for you." She looked down to Marr as their eyes met and gave her a friendly smile. They both then turned their eyes to the large window which was the entire wall out to the lively city filled with tall neon-lit buildings and flying vehicles along with an overgrowing tree covered in blooming blue leaves and strange red and yellow flowers. The swirling white patterned bark of the tree certainly accented the blue leaves and was Marr's favorite view in the whole city as it covered most of the city scenery, leaving some of the neon lights to bleed through at night when you could see them better. It was even better at night anyways, when the odd colorful glowing bugs would come out and fly freely about from their home inside the tree they burrowed themselves into.

Marr pulled away from the comfort of Kastana's arms and curled her knees to her chest. "This doesn't feel real—nothing feels real anymore. Like, sometimes I want to walk across the hall and wake him up and beg him to make breakfast, but then I remember, and it hurts." her face began to scrunch up as more tears came. Kastana crawled across the bed to face her directly, scooching close on her knees with a guilty look on her face as she watched a friend whom she admired mourn in the treacherous pain of loss. "Hey, hey, it's okay, i'm here." Kastana rest her hands over Marr's', leaving a slight feeling of comfort and calming Marr down. She sniffed, looking to Kastana and her bright blue eyes, then to her soft lush lips, and to her eyes again.
"I'm scared..." Marr says softly as Kastana begins to lean closer. She shakes her head to Marr, gesturing that she has no reason to be when she is right there next to her. Marr and Kastana gaze to one another for a short moment, Marr's hair falling over her eye triggering the next move where Kastana swept it back behind her ear, taking that chance to lean in, planting her lips against Marr's. It seems the kiss was just what Marr needed, as it sent joy inside her heart, warming her up again and bringing that light back into her eyes.

They finally pulled apart, leaving smiles plastered on both of their faces. As they sat giggling like little girls, a sudden hard set of knocks interrupted. Marr lost her smile as she recognized the stranger behind the door as the chief of the Planetary Safety Committee her father organized some time ago when whispers of war spread about. She pressed the button to open the door and the man took one step inside, holding a perfect stance and lowering his hat, placing it over his heart as he seen her glossy red eyes and cheeks. "I'm sorry for your loss, ma'am." he lowered his head, Marr doing so in return. "I'm here on official business. Please come with me, ma'am." He placed the hat back upon his head and folded his arms behind his back. Marr furrowed her brow, glancing to Kastana before sliding off the bed revealing her blue lace onesie pajamas. The man gave her one thorough look before turning his head and heading back into the hallway. "I'll give you time to prepare yourself." he says before the door closes.