Chapter Twenty-four

Then 

"Perseus Jackson, your coming with me! The Gods require you on Olympus" A girl in silver, barked while nocking an arrow. With a jolt, I realized it was Dianna.

"Speaking of trouble" Ace grumbled, as everyone bowed.

Now

"Lady Artemis it's been a while hasn't it? Have your wounds healed? According to Ace, mine have not," I spoke calmly my hand inching towards my sword.

"I am not here to chit chat boy. Are you going to come willingly or will I have to drag you there" Atrims asked, with a growing smile?

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it's going to have to be neither. I have important business to attend to elsewhere. You know how it goes. I'm a busy man, after all, places to be, people to kill, things to take, you know normal stuff."

An arrow came flying at my shoulder, but I quickly uncapped Riptide and deflected the assault. After a moment of tense silence, I turned to Ace and made eye contact. Ace had his Bow out, and an arrow knocked, ready to release on my order. I gestured for him to put his weapon down. Then with just a bearly visible gesture with my head, I told him to retreat.

I turned back to Atrimis knowing that my silent orders were being handled by my first mate. My crew was already on their way to the ship and getting ready to coast down the river and into the sea, the one place that seemed to know of our power.

"That my lady Artemis was very rude and dangerous. What do you even want with me in the first place?" I asked," Actually, you know what I don't want to know".

"Huntresses aim to maim, fire when ready," Artemis spoke gently as if she could possibly care about being there. I threw up a shield made of water as the Romans put up their shields an onslaught of arrows were released, missing me and hitting them instead.

"I'm really sorry I couldn't stay longer Reyna but, as you can see I really must get going," I yelled over my shoulder in the general direction that Reyna was standing in.

"Um... yeah, I can see that. Thanks for saving our asses. If it weren't for you we would all probably be dead." She shouted back.

At that moment the shadows became darker, and in another instant, Mrs. O'leary shot out. I used my powers to protect her from the arrows that were automatically fired at her.

Grabbing her fur I swung on top of her and after a second latter we lept into a group of shadows no longer in danger from arrows but, this seemed to be even worse. My entire being told me to flee. Crys of pain shot out from the darkness, voices screamed in despair. It ripped at my soul trying to drag me away.

My grip tightened on Mrs. O'leary and for once I was afraid, I was afraid that I was going to be swallowed up by the darkness that I had locked up inside so long ago.

After a moment more we shot out of the dark place in between worlds and on the deck of the Moon Dagger next to the center mast.

"Remind me to never do that again," I mumbled to no one in particular sliding of Mrs. O'leary. She gave me a big kiss, licking the side face before curling up in a ball and drifting to a peaceful slumber.

I turned my attention to the deck seeing everyone bustling about raising the sails and lifting the anchor.

"Ace," I called, gesturing him towards me when I saw that I had caught his attention, "Is everyone on board and accounted for?"

"Yes Captain," He replied.

I nodded before raising my hands and calling upon my powers. Ropes shot out as the sails were raised, the anchor soon following. After a moment we rushed forward down the river, the wind helping to push us faster and further away from the crazy auburn haired goddess.