"You're a dick," I pouted.

"You're cute," she chuckled.

I wiped the icing off my face with the back of my hand and she leaned into me, kissing the soft spot just below my jawline and smiling against my skin.

"I am not cute," I argued. "How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"I think you're pretty cute," she insisted.

"Lauren, what the hell is cute about me?"

"Your smile is adorable...and your laugh."

"Please," I scoffed. "My laugh is horrible."

"Oh, yeah? You think so?" she smirked.

She placed her hand on my hip and brushed her fingertips under my shirt, pressing her lips to my neck and tickling me gently. I grabbed her wrist and pushed her hand back away from me, glaring at her and holding onto her tightly to ensure she didn't try anything else.

"Don't you dare," I warned.

"I'd like to see you try and stop me."

She broke out of my grasp and attacked both of my sides, pushing me down against the deck while I protested through laughter. The sound bounced off of the wood and echoed through the yard, and for the first time I could hear what Lauren meant. It was cute, but not in a conceited type of way. It was real, and it was all because of her, and as she laughed with me I could hear the two sounds ringing together, fitting together perfectly just as our hands did. She let up a bit and pressed her lips to mine, just once, but then went back for more, deepening the contact and sliding her tongue along my bottom lip.

"Camila, there are children here," my mom scolded, walking down the stairs and stepping around us.

"I'm not allowed to kiss my girlfriend?" I snapped.

"Not here where everyone can see."

"Honey, they're not doing anything wrong," my dad disagreed, appearing by her side. "Just a little young love is all."

"Don't talk to me about young love," she laughed sarcastically. "Young love is what got us here in the first place."

I stood up and pulled Lauren up with me, pushing past my mom and bumping into her shoulder. I turned around at the last second and walked backwards to address her, holding onto Lauren's hand tightly.

"I guess we all make mistakes, don't we?" I said calmly, my voice just above a whisper.

I turned on my heels and made my way through the yard, pushing through the crowds of people and dodging children as I walked. I led Lauren along the entire time, pulling her down the dock and taking a seat on the edge, letting my feet hang in the warm lake water. We were out of earshot and out of sight, and knowing my parents, most likely out of mind. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, closing my eyes and running a hand through my hair.

"Are you okay?" Lauren asked.

I just nodded.

"I don't...I don't really know what to say," she stammered.

"You don't have to say anything."

"I mean, you're upset. I don't want you to-"

"I know I'm a mistake," I interrupted. "I know I fuck up and I'm well aware my parents never wanted me. I don't need to constantly be reminded."

"Hey, you're not a mistake," she assured me. "I hate it when you say things like that."

"I was an accident," I laughed ironically. "My parents got drunk and fucked and had me before they were ready and now here I am. How can I be worth anything when I wasn't meant to be here in the first place?"