xii. christmas toll

Start from the beginning

    She bit her lip in anger, and rolled her eyes. She hated hearing his name, or anyone talking about him. Of corse, she tried not to think about the entire thing but it always swarmed into the back of her mind.

    Sometimes she wondered what it would be like if her mother was alive, or if she had grown up differently.

   Would she still be the same as she was today? Would she have a different personality? Would she be a different person?

    "You say...you remember Rosmerta, Do you remember who his best friend was?" she heard McGonagall question.

   She heard the other woman chuckle. "Naturally. Never saw one without the other did you? The number of times I had them - oh they used to make me laugh. Quite the double act, Sirius Black and James Potter!"

    Her eyes widened.

    What the fuck?

    Her father was friends with Harry's father? And they were a "double act?"

     What the actual fuck?

     Her thoughts are interrupted when Harry dropped his tankard with a loud clunk.

    Aurora groaned when Ron kicked her into the side, intending for Harry. She takes his foot and slams it at the side of table. 

    Harry scooted towards her, trying to get away from their seats.

    "Precisely. Black and Potter were ringleaders of their little gang. Both very bright of corse, exceptionally bright in fact." McGonagall sounded upset, and it didn't make sense to her. "I don't think we've ever had such a pair of troublemakers."

    " I dunno." Hagrid chuckled lightly, as she could hear the sound of him taking a slug from his drink, " He might just be out-done by his own daughter. And Fred and George Weasley. Them three could give em a run for their money."

    Aurora gave a small smile from under the table. 

    Her father was also a troublemaker? Like her...

    "Potter and Black, they were inseparable. Much like Harry and Aurora today. Potter trusted Black beyond all his other friends. Nothing changed when they left school. Black was the best man when James got married to Lily. Also, James was the best man at Black's wedding to sweet Magnolia of corse. They named his godfather of Harry, he had no idea of corse. You can imagine how that would torment him."

   She turned to Harry, who eyes went wide.

   "Godfather?" she mouthed. "What?"

   "Ah yes lovely Magnolia." she heard Hagrid croak out. He sounded close to tears. She knew Hagrid knew her mum, but not this much. "One of my favourite students I had the pleasure of knowing. Never deserved her ending. She would have been a great mother. All she ever wanted was a family."

     She wishes she could have known her. Even seen a picture of her. But she didn't.

     All she ever wanted was a family? Maybe that meant she was different compared to the other Aleksander's. Yes, Aurora knew her parents disliked her because she wasn't like them but she didn't really know what she was like.