It was close to the style of Luis XIV, a blaze of colors where the deep brown of old bronze, the gold the foil frames of the huge mirrors mixed with the Bordeaux of the drapery.

There was a fresco on the high vaulted ceiling depicting some holy scene, and just below it, a huge candelabrum. On the other hand, there wasn't much furniture: just a dozen pieces scattered across the three hundred square meters of the main hall.

But the style was the same; coffers inlaid with ivory and mother of pearl, gilded chairs and antique marquetry tables decorated with different colors and woods.

The style was so pompous, Dia felt heavy and out of breath just to look at it.

Probably, the only thing that lightened the atmosphere was the floor; it was entirely made of marble, black and white tiles carefully placed to create a specific pattern, close to a chessboard.

"This was Viceroy's residence." Reyes said to her at some point. "The system's governor and emperor's proxy, his eyes and ears in this little piece of galaxy."

She looked at him, but she was still dazed, her eyes wide open as she looked around.

"Those things...they must be worth a fortune." She said, but Reyes shook her head.

"Not nearly as much as you think, Dia. They are fake."

"Fake?"

"Fake" Reyes confirmed. "Probably reproductions made in the XXI century." He grunted, a strange look on his face while he stared at her. "In the end, old replicas are still replicas.

"But...why?" She asked since she didn't understand the purpose of it. "Why bother?"

Granted, the place looked majestic and imposing, though a little too pretentious for her taste. But at the end, she was a soldier used to think tactically.

Although the palace was difficult to reach, she could see a lot of side entrances, glass windows and other vulnerabilities an enemy could exploit. It simply wasn't worth it.

Reyes gave her an odd look like he didn't believe she could be so naive.

"Is that so surprising? The empire had always been like that, more soap than substance, so anxious to show something, anything, if it means to distract its population from how rotten it really is."

"That was is in the past." Dia objected, but she didn't sound sure.

"Do you think now it's different?" Reyes shook his head. "It's the same, Dia. The only difference is that in the past it liked to show its wealth, the grandeur of the imperial family, like a peacock flaunting its feathers. But now..." He smiled, coldly. "well, if the imperial legions stationed on the fringe worlds are of any indication you should know what it is flaunting now, shouldn't you?"

"I don't, but for some reason, I'm sure you will tell me." She said, her tone sarcastic.

But Reyes continued like he didn't hear her.

"Power, Dia. The only thing that really matters."

Dia scowled. She had enough of his anti-imperial propaganda.

"Sure, Reyes, because the Syndicate is so much better. For centuries you attacked our ships for loot, used the Spice, the most addicting drug ever created, as a tool to control your own population. Or do you really want me to believe that your agents infiltrated in the empire just to fight against tyranny?" She mocked.

Dia expected him to get angry, but his response wasn't completely different from what she imagined. He started chuckling but it soon turned into a full laugh. He kept laughing until he had tears in his eyes and his stomach started to hurt.