Prologue : The Encounter

The real man smiles in trouble,
Gathers strength from distress,
And grows brave by reflection

- Thomas Paine

London, 1875

He looked at his reflection in the large vanity on his room not impressed by his looks or whatever he was wearing for the debutante ball event tonight. He seems doesn't have any choice than followed her lovely mother to join the little family trip. He had already skipped two almost three debutante balls this year and his mother was trying to make sure he never skip this one.

The debutante ball was held by the famous and notorious Lady Amhurst from Manchester in a mission to searching a potential husband for her daughters. The old lady was known for her habit to throw a big party without even consider how much she will spent – many of them almost choked him after listened the amount of money she had spent just for one ball.

He lifted up his chin to observe his frock coat, it was black with a leaf patterns on every side of his double-breasted vest on the inner outfit. Match up with his black jet high waisted pants.

He decided not to wear any cravat but when he turning back he bumped into her mother. She was beautiful lady with chocolate brown hair and hazel eyes although those eyes were already added with crinkle in the corner it was still mesmerized him. His hair was nothing like her mother, it was black like the night and his eyes were not light either, followed his hair color. Same old monotone color which he never like.

She was wearing a peach-like color straw bonnet with daisy flowers in the top back of it, beautifully decorated along with a dress which was similar in color wrapped her like the second skin and the bustle flaunt her hip appropriately.

"Oh, lord look at you Horace" she squealed in happiness as her eyes smiled with a mirth "All women will worship you if you just keep dressing like this"

Right

He never like the idea of being worshiped by women in this century. To the worst people always expected that the oldest son from a big successful business mogul family like Harrington will be married with the daughter from honorable family. Those family with viscount, earl, baron or even duke titles attached on their names.

Horace's mother was trying to introduce him with the daughter of Earl Pembroke twice and the other famous honorable family in case he was interested in one of them but he never interested which always scared her.

"Just remember you already 31 years old and not married yet" she warned him "I swear to you Horace there is no one stay alone without married in this age and you makes me worried!"

She forced him to face her as she tried her best to tied his cravat. The height difference makes it more difficult so he slightly bent over to his mother.