Chapter 1

As I lay in bed, I could not help but wonder how the summer had passed so quickly.

It felt as though it was just the other day I was sitting at my vanity, my room cluttered with not only my mother but my sisters and cousins as well.

They were laughing and sipping a glass of sparkling wine that was filled to the rim of their flute glasses.

I was sitting in the chair, my eyes peering wide as my makeup artist tended to my face.

"My god."

I looked at my mother, watching as her hands hovered over her heart as she pouted when she looked at me.

"What?" I looked around confusingly.

"You look amazing." She would draw attention from the others; placing all of their eyes on me.

"Mom." I sighed. My blush hidden behind my melanin skin as the pressure was beginning to get to me.

"I can't wait to see you in that gown." She shouted over the ruckus of the other girls.

"Neither can I." Someone else chimed in before there was a circle of excitement in the room.

After I was finished with my makeup, I slipped on the most beautiful gown I thought I would ever wear in my life.

The most elegant prom dress.

Moments later, I was standing in front of our home, drowning in the heavy flashing of camera lights and smiling faces that were too eager to capture my picture on this special night.

It was amazing.

A night I would never forget!

A night that reminded me that all of years I have spent in elementary, middle, and high school was over and I was now moving on to do my own things.

I rolled over; watching as the headlights from the passing cars shined on my bedroom's wall during the darkest hour as I thought of everything college would bring me....