"Don't. You know I hate it when you call me that."

"Fine, Mi Sirenita. What would you rather I call you?" I put my hands on my hips and watch as Mateo's face morphs into one of horrified disgust.

"You literally just called me your little mermaid," he grumbles, shaking in head in disappointment.

"Did I?" I smile cheekily at him, to which he can't resist my charm and begins chuckling to himself.

"I am gonna miss you," he tells me, his face turning serious.

It's then that I spot Jamie approaching from behind Mateo. My attention stray and Mateo must sense this because he glances over his shoulder and then smirks at me.

"I'll see you later, Mi Amada."

"Okay," I say, snapping my attention back to him and offering him a warm smile. "See ya, buddy."

Mateo glances behind himself at Jamie once more before disappearing into the crowd. I wring my hands together as I watch Jamie approach, my smile twitching nervously on my lips. This is happening. It's been eight years and I'm finally seeing Jamie again. I'm not even sure how to feel about this moment.

"Hey," I say, as he comes to a halt in front of me.

Shoving his hands into his pockets, he grins down at me. I expect the moment to be awkward, but when Jamie just laughs and pulls me into his arms, my body thaws into a pool of familiarity.

"Man, I've missed you," he mumbles into my hair, igniting my skull with prickles of delight.

He pulls away a moment later, smiling down at me as he returns his hands to his front pockets.

"How are you?" he asks, glancing in the direction that Mateo had just sauntered off in.

"Good," I say, and then clear my throat. "I'm good. Thanks. How 'bout you?"

"Good." He scratches his right temple and then shakes his head. "No, actually I'm great. Really great."

"Oh yea?" I cradle my diploma to my chest as I allow my eyes to trace every curve of Jamie's face. He's matured a lot, and by a lot, I mean a lot! He's all man now. If I analyze him long enough, I might be able to convince myself that it's not him. It's that familiar glint in his eye and the slight limp from his prosthetic that gives him away.

"So, who was that?" he suddenly asks, his eyes still trained over my shoulder. I turn to see who he's talking about and laugh.

"Oh, Mateo?" I ask, as if he's gonna know how to answer that. "He's my boyfriend."

I watch as Jamie's focus narrows on me, his blue gaze analyzing every curve and crease of my face before his eyes lift to meet mine. His brows furrow as he watches me and then he drops his gaze to the ground. I watch as he starts to shake his head and a moment later a small burst of laughter escapes his lips.

"I used to think you were a good liar," he tells me, running a thumb across his cheek. "Not sure why because you're absolute garbage at it."

"What?" I balk, putting my empty hand on my hip and dropping my jaw in mock horror. "How dare you? Maybe you were just too self-absorbed to see anything other than your bubble of pity." My tone is playful, but my words hold truth.

"Touche." He nods as if in complete agreement, which catches me off guard. I remember defensive Jamie, broken Jamie, confused Jamie. The Jamie standing in front of me is oozing with confidence and a soothing calm. I don't see guilt in his eyes anymore, but rather a sense of stability and determination.

His laughter finally breaks me and I start laughing along with him. For a moment, it's like we were never apart. Jamie's the same old boy I had been in love with in high school. He's conquered the ugly parts and brought back the old version of himself.

"Well," I say, gesturing at Jamie's form. "You look great."

"Thanks," he responds, his eyes scanning over my body. "So do you."

"Okay," I huff. "Don't lie." I glance down at myself and pout. "I'm fat."

"So you've gained some weight—big deal!" Jamie shrugs as if his words are something you'd just casually tell anyone.

"Honest much?"

"I learned from the best," he jokes, crossing his impressive arms over his chest. "Besides, did you want me to lie and say that I prefer the stick version of you from high school?" He doesn't wait for me to answer as he continues. "No, you don't. Besides, you're not fat. You filled out a bit, but only in the best kind of way... if you know what I mean."

He wiggles his eyebrows at me, but refrains from letting his eyes wander over my 'filled out' figure again.

"So what are you doing here?" I ask, brows furrowed in curiosity. "And how did you know I was graduating today?"

"Your mom," he answers with a smirk.

"I swear, you and my mom are better friends than we ever were," I grumble, crossing my arms as I glare up at him childishly.

"That's cuz you and I were borderline not just friends," he states so matter of factly that I have no response. "Anyway," he says, taking a deep breath as he shifts the conversation. "I'm actually here on business."

"Oh?" I inquire, my mood deflating slightly, which I'm sure Jamie notices. "What might that be?"

"Well, it seems the farm is in need of a vet," he starts to tell me, casually tapping his chin as he speaks, a smile peering out from behind his lips.

"Wait," I freeze, my heart accelerating. "What are you saying?"

I know exactly what he's saying, but I'm just not sure if I'm ready for it. It's been eight years. I've moved on and I'm not sure if my heart is ready to try this again. I'm not sure my heart will allow us to be just friends this time, but I'm also not ready to love again. 

"I'm saying," he says, cutting off my thoughts. He pauses for effect as his eyes dance across my face, and then smiling like he already knows this will be an opportunity I can't pass up. "I'm here to offer you a job."

---

It's over!!!... kind of. :p

I'd actually written a longer epilogue but then had this brilliant idea to write a second book (maybe just a shortstory). It will basically be Lynn and Jamie's third chance at love. :D  Yay?? Or nay??

Did Jamie seem different in this chapter? Maybe a bit more mature... or did he seem the same. I need to know so I can make changes if I need to. ;)

Thanks for sticking with me through this story! Hope you loved it!!!

What kind of story would you like for me to write next? Any ideas?