Chapter 25 - A Stronger Pull

I stared as the colon between the numbers on the clock blinked on and off. It was 2AM now, and I still haven't slept a blink. I'd been thinking about what Phasma said. She wanted me to fix this. But, the question repeated itself in my head.

How?

I didn't even know what was wrong with Hux yet. Was Snoke controlling him in some way? And if so... why? Wouldn't he be better off controlling Kylo instead of Hux?

Racking my brains for anything I could come up with to answer my questions, I got nothing that made sense. Then I heard the faint sound of the door opening and then closing. I kept still, currently lying on my side facing the wall. He didn't even bother to turn the lights on. After a few minutes of hearing boots hitting the floor, and clothing being ruffled, I felt the mattress beside me deepen, as if it were being laid down on.

There was something about knowing that Hux was beside me that made me feel... at ease somehow, and I prayed to anything holy that he wasn't his glinting red-eyed self. It seemed like this was his routine though, for after some time, I heard his breathing go steady, and realized he was already asleep.

Soon after... I was as well.

...

...

...

...

...

Toss

...

...

Turn

...

Toss

Turn

Groan

Toss

...

Turn

...

...

Shallow heavy breaths

...

Another toss and turn

...

A sudden shake partnered by a grunt

...

...

I awoke.

...

My eyes drifted towards the clock.

2:57

Damn it, Hux. I haven't even reached a full hour sleep yet. He kept moving too much and was making too much noise. I sighed.

Then I heard him.

A faint whisper in the dark.

A tiny plea that sounded so close yet so distant.

"Paige, are you awake?"

I didn't move a muscle. I wanted to keep my mouth shut. Remembering what he'd done to me earlier... I didn't-- couldn't face him. Not right now, at least. My mind wanted to ignore him, but my lips betrayed me.

"Yeah"

I heard him swallow.

"May I move? Closer?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. Okay, now I really didn't want to answer. But, damn my mouth.

"Okay"