13. Capture The Flag

From all the information I gathered from the battle strategy books, I figured that I could actually win. cabins a side because I decided to show up and mess up the dynamic : Poseidon, Demeter, Ares, Athena, Hades, Iris, Hecate and Apollo while the others have Dionysus, Hermes, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Hypnos, Nemesis, Hebe, Tyche and Nike.

Since I'm kinda new to this whole Greek thing, I gathered that a checklist would be suitable for the situation. Very grown up of me, I know.

Have a team that knows what to do. Since guards aren't allowed to be within 10 yards of the flag and only two guards are allowed, it makes that actual grading of the flag easier. One Athena child and one Ares child. Leave the slowest behind as the two guards and use the fastest to get the other flag.Put the flag somewhere visible but easy to guard and surrounded by traps because why the hell not. The most unexpected place would be nears the enemy territory but not easy to get across the river. Use the strongest or most powerful player as a decoy to lure the enemy out. Since I'm a child of the big three, it'll most probably be me. The rest of the cabins can go for the flag while I create the distraction. Deception is key to win. The team needs to be clever and trick the enemy so we can win.lastly we need to fight stuff and people. Easy, right?

To win we have to carry the other teams flag across the river and into our territory while fending off the other team, monsters, traps and environment. As simple as it all appears, I doubt it will be that way. Percy almost died at his first capture the flag and I'm really hoping I don't. Thats not the way I wanna go out. Since Hermes is still the biggest cabin they have more campers but my team has healers, fighters and smart campers which outwit the numbers of Hermes. As long as I don't screw up, we can win.

***

Okay so what I pictured as capture the flag and what capture the flag actually is, are two different things. I thought that yes it would be hectic and yes there would be monsters in the dark forest but I never thought that it's the bloody full blown war games. I've only just leant how to actually use a damn sword and now I have to somehow survive this. And the second best sword person thing is on the other team!

How in Hades am I gonna do this?

Just stay calm and do what Percy and Luke taught you.

I can do this.

I can do this.

In and out.

Slow breathing.

Heart rate fast but steady.

"Campers, quite down now. You have 15 minutes to hide the flags and come up with your battle strategy. Remember no maiming or killing. The creek is the boundry line and to win carry the opponents flag across the river. This is fun but a way to train, fight to win and survive. Good luck."

How nice of Chiron to remind me of all the things that I cant do, aka survive war games.

"Cora, a word."

"Yes Chiron?"

"So you're very new to all this and there's no need to feel disadvantaged because I'm giving you this." Chrion hands me a shiny new watch with little waves etched around the sides.

"Oh wow Chiron, thanks for the watch. Is this so I can see how many minutes I actually manage to survive? You really shouldn't have, it's way too thoughtful.'

"Are you done miss Jackson?" He looks at me, unimpressed.

"Oh yes." I go red in the face.

"This watch arrived for you from your half brother Tyson. He sends his love and wishes you luck for tonight. When you press the side of the watch," I motion to the little gem on the left side," yes you press the small blue gem, it will transform into a shield. Go on, give it a try." He steps back and shoots me an expectant look.

I eagerly push the gem and the watch springs into a wave etched shield with a trident dead centre.

"Holy hades it's beautiful but how do I close it?"

"Flick you wrist and it will close. Now move along, you have a capture the flag to win." Chiron winks and smiles a mischievous smile as he gallops away.

I run to where our flag is stationed, making sure I'm not followed.

"Okay team, what's the plan?"

***

For my first capture the flag I'm not actually failing at it. So far (according to my watch slash shield) I've managed to survive fifteen minutes and I haven't encountered anyone yet. Even if I feel like I'm about to die every thirty seconds, I'm cutely managing. I feel like one of those horror movies. Even though there are torches lighting the forest, it doesn't make it less spooky. According to the team, the other teams flag is somewhere near Zeus's fist while ours is literally a hop skip and jump away of because step number 2 in my summary. Its also near enough that I can access water if I need to. Although in case of emergency I have my trusty camp water bottle filled to the brim.

As the obvious threat I'm tasked with luring out the other team in order to get them away from their flag. Although this doesn't seem to be working as fore mentioned that I can't find anyone at all so plan to create a very obvious attack - a water explosion. I place my water in the middle of the clearing near the fist and run away. The next part is tricky - I have to try access my water manipulation and kinda explode the water bottle and shout to create more noise. I know, I know, what a loss of a great water bottle. I sit quietly behind a tree.

Focus

Focus

Channel your inner Poseidon

Think about the water expanding

Bursting through the already expanded water bottle

Shredding the plastic to bits

Now do i-

My thoughts are literally interrupted by that water bottle exploding.

"Ah dammit I can't believe I broke my bottle. And this close to getting their flag." I shout as an attempt at acting. There's a reason I was never in the drama club and this is it. At least I'm faking it til I make it.

I take off, sprinting through the forest, away from both flags, while making as much noise as possible. Behind me level crunch and branches break as the other team takes the bait.

Hmph this is going to be easy

Oh gods brain don't jinx it

I knew I would find a way to screw it up and I do. I fall over a stupid tree branch and flatten out on the ground. Did I happen to mention that something that wasn't a leaf crunched on my way down. A searing pain spreads up my leg, slowly igniting a fiery fury in my body. An ear deafening scream rings out and shockingly it isn't mine. It is male. And close by.

^^^

Okay so first

I'm so sorry for not updating

I'm a horrible person

Secondly

Hope you enjoy this chapter

First attempt at a cliff hanger but yeh

Nakeisha