6. False Obsession Turned Real

Beginne am Anfang

Bree Campbell. Alex remembered the girl was smart and wasn't gossipy. She was also excellent at Social Studies. Once, during a free period, Alex had seen Bree reading a mystery novel while their other classmates chattered loudly. Alex thought that if she had the courage to talk to Bree, they might become good friends.

... To be honest, from what she'd seen of Bree, Alex wouldn't mind if Conner liked her. She seemed like a pretty sensible person.

Although, a little part of Alex was scared that she might not be the closest female figure in Conner's life anymore. Conner was one of the few that truly understood her, and she couldn't bear to have him gone from her life. But of course, a mere significant other couldn't tear them apart. They were twins, after all. Twins that happened to have gone on the adventure of their lives.

But at least she understood what, or rather who had caused Conner's strange behavior. Alex sneaked a look at her twin. His hair was brushed and his clothes were tidy. She'd noticed that Conner had begun to take care of his looks ever since the school year had started. And he'd even begun to look forward to school. Was it also linked to Conner's feelings for Bree?

Alex fidgeted with her clothes, a bit jealous. Here she was, as Conner's twin, trying to persuade him to work hard and be more organized ever since they were kids. She had tried for years and years with little to no result, but then this random girl had to barge in and achieve what she had been trying to do for a long time.

The girl sighed, embarrassed by her extreme feelings. Bree probably didn't know the effect she had on Conner, and Conner was just changing his behavior subconsciously. It wasn't like he would ignore his own sister's advice. And Alex had never had a crush on someone, so she wouldn't know the power of puppy love.

***

Just do it, Bree.

Bree stared at the sheets of papers in her hand. Thinking about them created a fluttery warm feeling in her stomach. Bree bit her lip. By then, she wasn't unused to the feeling, but it was still a little unsettling.

Come on, is it that hard to talk to Conner?

Bree felt like a terrible person. She liked Conner's story so much, she kept it for a few days instead of approaching him immediately. She was such a coward for not returning his story.

But yet, somehow, she couldn't even look at his direction. She shuffled her books so they covered the sheets of paper. Bree didn't want anyone to see her hoarding Conner's story. It was embarrassing and creepy.

"Conner, did you find it?" a boy's voice asked. There was the sound of rummaging and a few books falling to the ground. "Nope," Conner's voice replied. "Man, I wish I'd been more careful."

Conner must be looking for his story, Bree theorized. The correct thing to do was to give him back his story that he rightfully owned, but just hearing Conner speak made her feel nervous for no reason. But she also felt guilty for indirectly hiding his belongings from him. Maybe that was why she felt so weird.

And Bree hated it when she didn't know what was going on inside her. Perhaps the reason for her emotions was the shame she felt for not returning Conner's story. So she could remove the root of the guilt and shame by giving the papers to Conner.

The girl slowly slid the papers out from underneath her book, and made her way to the boys. Put on an unaffected look, Bree reminded herself again and again. Her sisters and friends had told her that they often didn't know what she was thinking because of her neutral expression, and now Bree could put that to good use.