Life is NOT a Party

Due to Shizuo's insistence on walking to Shinra's place for the most part of their journey there, it was easy to say they arrived a little late. But that suited the blond just fine, knowing that it wouldn't be as awkward with everyone already being there. At least Izaya wouldn't be caught in any one-on-one interactions, especially one involving Shinra. Shizuo couldn't help but still be a little nervous over his little secret, knowing the doctor was just as trustworthy as his lover was sometimes. If it wasn't Celty, Shinra had no qualms over betraying one's trust for a good laugh. But Celty had helped Shizuo invite Izaya here, so it was unlikely the doctor would do anything that could possibly upset his lover. Looking down at the small man beside him, the blond frowned at the sight of his pale hand quivering ever so slightly. At the same time though, his trademark smirk never left his lips.

Shizuo sighed to himself.

Tonight will certainly be interesting.

Before he could say anything to possibly calm Izaya's nerves, the door was thrown open to reveal one happy underground doctor. "Shizuo! Glad you finally made it, my beloved Celty was getting worried!" He cheered a greeting, stepping aside to let them in.

The doctor threw a glance at Izaya and gave him a grin, which the informant returned proudly. "Izaya, I wish I could say it was good to see you as well!" He smiled, his voice the same as it had been with Shizuo.

"Ah, the same goes for me. I was enjoying my time in Ikebukuro before your face popped up." Izaya's words dripped with syrupy sarcasm, already having settled into his persona around others.

And that in itself made Shizuo's optimism crumble.

Izaya wasn't good at speaking to other people as himself, his carefully constructed walls were almost impossible to tear down and that led to him being cold to mostly everyone. He was an untrusting person, and he didn't have the strength to put himself out there. Orihara Izaya was a coward, through and through. His fear of being hurt emotionally outweighed any physical injury he could gain as a result of his personality.

Shizuo knew this well, having been the target of Izaya's wrath for most of his life.

But despite this, Izaya had let him in. Shizuo had been able to catch glimpses of the true man his lover was, and the person that was had the blond falling for him over and over again.

The true Izaya was a scaredy cat. He feared dogs and thunder, he got nervous talking to strangers, and he refused to look at any fish eyes. The true Izaya was intelligent beyond compare, but in a quirky sense. He had a knack for mythology, and he enjoyed poetry and documentaries on psychology. Humanity still fascinated, but the true Izaya held this fascination in a much more containable way than the Izaya he put on for show. The true Izaya was incredibly lonely, and he cared for the 'players' of his game more than he could put into words. Shizuo realized that the more Izaya hurt someone, the more it meant he enjoyed them. Because if he hurt them, then they would despise his very being. And that way, there was no possible chance of friendship ever forming between whatever player Izaya took an interest in and the informant himself. Izaya was safe from being hurt.

It was self destructive, and it would only hurt Izaya in the end.

Shizuo was determined to break Izaya out of those hellish walls.

And to do that, he had to get his lover to open up to others.

What better way to do that then have him attend a party with all of the raven's favorite players?

Taking his partner's hand, Shizuo nodded towards Shinra. "Thanks, we'll find a place to sit." He pulled Izaya into the doctor's house.

Shizuo could still feel Izaya's trembling fingers.