When God Panics

Izaya frowned as he stared at his reflection, messing with his hair out of frustration. Should he leave it as it it? Or style it in a different way? His eyes drifted down to stare at the clothes he was wearing. A grey hoodie and some simple black jeans. Was that good enough? Just how fancy were these stupid hotpot get togethers?!

"Izaya, you've been in the bathroom for nearly an hour! We're just going to Shinra's house, it's not a big deal!" Shizuo shouted from outside the door, causing the panic stricken informant to roll his eyes.

Tsk, what did Shizuo know? That protozoan had been to plenty of hotpot parties before, of course he didn't have to worry about how he appeared.

This was a completely different situation with him! After all, Shinra had finally invited him along with Shizuo to visit with everyone else at his house. That meant the van gang would be there, the three musketeers, Shizuo's coworkers, and probably even more people were going to be there!

And so far, only two out of those group of people knew that Izaya was coming: Shinra and Shizuo.

Izaya paced back and forth in front of the mirror, wondering if maybe he should even put a barrette in his hair. He'd done it before and Shizuo had liked it...would that be appropriate.

Before the informant could debate possibly even dying his hair, the door slammed open to reveal an annoyed Shizuo. He was wearing the same bartender suit as usual, seeming to have put no effort whatsoever in his appearance. Izaya couldn't help but silently envy the blond's uncaring attitude.

Not that Shizuo would ever know that, of course.

"Come on, princess. Act like you do with me and everything will be fine, okay? Just don't be a dick." Shizuo chuckled and grabbed Izaya's hand, pulling him out of the master bathroom before he could even protest.

A pout grew along the raven's face and he huffed to himself, folding his arms. Perhaps he should wear his usual clothing then? Mmm but it was already in the wash!

Goddammit, why was this so difficult?!

"We're leaving now before your head explodes." Shizuo decided and put his shoes on, handing Izaya's over to the perturbed raven.

Did these shoes even go with his grey hoodie? Granted, they were black and black went with ever but-

"IZAYA!"

Izaya squeaked in surprise as he suddenly found himself trapped in a bear hug. He slowly relaxed inside of it, laying his head against the blond's chest. His eyes fluttered shut as he heard Shizuo's steady heartbeat, beginning to return the embrace himself.

"You are absolutely wonderful, ya hear me? There is nothing to be worried about, I'll be right by your side the entire time. I promise." Shizuo murmured, one of his hands finding purchase in Izaya's hair as he began to stroke through it gently.

Izaya nodded slowly in response, mostly hiding his face now so the ex bartender wouldn't see his flaming red cheeks.

"I'm not a child, you know. Hmph, I don't care what they think of me. God's don't care about such petty-" He was cut off by lips pressing against his own, forcefully shutting him up.

Izaya sighed into their shared kiss contentedly, wrapping his arms around the blond's neck to pull him closer. It was too quickly when the taste of cigarettes, milk, and Shizuo pulled away from him. He looked up at his boyfriend slowly, not at all surprised to see Shizuo smiling at him gently.

"I love you, Izaya." The bodyguard mumbled, his hand still secure around Izaya's waist. It was obvious that the ravenette was nervous about Shinra's hotpot party -and honestly, he understood why- but it still bothered him to this day that Izaya refused to confide in Shizuo when he was feeling out of control.

It had been two years, yet Izaya still kept his feelings to himself. Sometimes Shizuo would catch a glimpse of pain in his lover's eyes, a hint of nervousness in the way Izaya would tap away on his keyboard.

What always clung to Izaya though...was the unrelenting force of loneliness.

That was why Shizuo had convinced Shinra to allow Izaya to come to the party, promising that he would be well behaved. The doctor reluctantly agreed, and even more reluctantly agreed to pretend that he had invited Izaya himself without anyone asking him to.

Izaya would never know that part though, Shizuo would make sure of it.

Taking the smaller male's tiny hand in his own, Shizuo repeated the vows he'd made to himself at the beginning of their relationship.

That he would make Izaya the happiest person he could be, and that he would protect him even if the whole world turned against him.

Walking out of Izaya's apartment with the raven, Shizuo took a deep breath.

I will always protect you, my flea.