Chapter seven

Dedicated to Nimi_121  for being a supporter of this book and always sliding in my DM to politely ask me to update. Even though that irks some authors, it doesn't irk me. In fact, it makes me happy to know that someone wants a quick update on my story.

***

  It was a brand new day— another day of expected city drama. I had done all my morning chores and it was time to have my bath and prepare for school. Amanda and Annabelle had gone to school already. They usually go to school early because, according to them, they were part of the school prefects.

After having my bath, I dressed up in the clothes that I wore to school yesterday. Because I washed it the previous night, it wasn't really dried but I had no other option than to wear it like that, since I hadn't gotten the school uniform. The coldness and the wetness of the cloth made me so uncomfortable. I looked at myself in the mirror and I noticed my hair was still in the same all-back plait. I had forgotten to ask aunty Caro for money to make a new hairstyle. Maybe that would be next week.

Once done with dressing up, I carried my school bag on one arm and walked upstairs to aunty Caro room to ask her for pocket money. The door to her room was closed, so I had to knock.

"Who's there?" She yelled, knowing full well that I was the only one in the house, aside from her. The twins had gone to school and uncle Henry had gone out. I didn't know if it was work uncle Henry went to do, so it was best to just say he went out.

"It's me?" I answered in a low voice as I rolled my eyes.

"Who are you?" She asked in the same low range as mine.

I sighed, shaking my head disappointedly. What she was doing was too petty for someone like her. "Daniella." I tried to answer politely. It took every cell in me not to sound rude

"What do you want?"

"Can I come in, aunty?"

"Are you mad?" She shouted, "I'm asking you a question and you're asking me if you can come in. Don't you have respect? Can't you ask whatever you want to ask from there? Must you enter my room before you can ask? Idiot!"

I flinched as she called me idiot. Did she have to hurl an abusive word on me? A simple question was all I asked and instead of her answering with a simple yes or no, she resulted in cusses.

"I'm sorry aunty, I—"

"Sorry for yourself." She cut me off abruptly. "Say whatever you want to say and get out! I have no time for frivolities."

"Aunty, please pocket money. I'm going to school." I gnawed my left fingers as I said that. I was scared of her response, since she was apparently in a very bad mood.

"Oh! So because I gave you the spare change I had yesterday, you now think you could just ask for another one today and I would give you. Well sorry; I don't have any money on me. You can go to school like that. Haven't you eaten this morning?"

My brows marred in a frown as she spat out those words. Early this morning in the kitchen, I heard her saying that Amanda and Annabelle should take one of the five hundred naira notes in her wallet when they asked for pocket money. But now that it was me that asked, she all of a sudden didn't have money on her. Wasn't that just plainly wicked?

I wanted to protest but I thought against it. There was no point. After all, Amanda and Annabelle were her kids, while I was just the local cousin that came from the village.

"I haven't eaten this morning." I said and I wasn't lying. After I was done with the house chores, I went straight to preparing for school and I was running late so there wasn't any time to have breakfast.