Chapter 13 - Birthday Celebrations

Start from the beginning

"Hello Chris garu."

"You read books. Right? I have a copy of this new book from this famous physicist. It's not been released yet. I don't understand these technical terms. Will you take it?" He showed her the book.

She gasped looking at the title. It was a book she has been waiting for, since the author announced it. "Thank you Chris garu." She felt so happy that she ran towards Vikram with the book in her hand. 

"Vikram sir! My favourite actor gave me my favourite book written by my favourite scientist." She showed him the book excitedly. 

"I hope you are happy now." Vikram smiled.

"Yes. I am so happy. Wait a minute. Why does everyone have something to give me on this particular day? And how did they know I would like them?"

"You don't know the answer? Or do you want to hear it from me?" 

Shubha finally understood. "You? You know?"

"Of course I do."

"Did Naveen tell you? I knew it. He broke his promise."

"Excuse me! I swear on the honour of my family that I never spoke a word about this to anyone" said Naveen. 

"I fail to understand what made you conclude that I won't celebrate your birthday." Vikram gave her an intense gaze and moved towards her.

'What is he doing? Everyone's watching us. Should I move backwards? No. It will look obvious. Should I walk towards him? No. It will look weird.' Shubha's brain jumped from one thought to another rather quickly. 

He held her right hand. She gasped. He shook her hand and said, "Happy Birthday Subbu," making her sigh in relief.

The moment he released her hand, she felt like something precious has been taken away from her. Before she could understand what it was, she heard everyone shout "Happy Birthday!!"

Latha gave her a present. "Open it." Shubha opened it to see two gifts inside it. The first one was a set of three books. The original story of the film before it was condensed by Vikram's father. "None of the actors know the entire story. They only know what's written in the script. It's a very beautiful story Shubha. Read it when you are free."

"Thank you aunty." Shubha opened the next gift. She couldn't speak. "Is th-this me?"

"Yes. Vicky has been working on this since last week. He urged the team to deliver it by this morning" said Chris. "Hide it carefully. We will be releasing it much later. But he wanted you to see it today." 

It was the hard copy of a poster. Her first poster. She never thought she would witness something like that in her life. She looked at Vikram to thank him. He understood what she wanted to say and nodded.

"Shubha, congrats. This is the first official poster of our film" said Dhwani. "It's so beautiful. I wish I could get a copy."

It was time to cut the cake. Everyone gathered around. She blew the candles and cut the cake. "Who is going to have it first?" asked Pragathi.

"Me. Her brother from the sets." Naveen announced.

"No. I will have it first. Her brother on screen." Chris argued. 

Shubha's eyes searched for Vikram. He stood in a corner. He signaled towards his mother. She nodded and gave the first slice to Latha. "Thanks for everything aunty." Latha embraced her.

She fed the cake to everyone. Finally it was Vikram's turn. He walked towards her slowly, again staring at her with his intense eyes. For the first time in her life, Shubha understood the meaning of butterflies in stomach. He didn't eat the cake like everyone else did. Instead, he cut a slice and made her have it. "May you live a life full of happiness."

"Thank you sir." 

Her birthday party lasted long. "How did you all know my likes and dislikes?"

"Vicky told us." They answered.

"We got the gifts yesterday. But Vicky has been planning this since last week" said Dhwani.

"Poor Naveen. He was restless when you made him promise. It was only after Vicky said that he knew it already and Naveen wasn't breaking his promise, that he felt relieved." Pragathi informed her.

"Sorry Naveen. I shouldn't have made you promise. But I-I just couldn't..." She shut her eyes to arrest the tears.

Vikram placed his hand on her shoulder. "It's alright Subbu. Forget the previous birthdays. All the coming birthdays will be memorable."

She smiled. "Thank you. You all are so sweet."

They added her to their group chat. They had a lot of fun before leaving for their respective homes. Shubha viewed the pictures again and again. "Best birthday ever." She remarked.

"Are you happy?" asked Vikram.

"Yes" She nodded.

"Subbu. I have a request. Whenever you feel lonely think about this day. Remember how much we love your smile." 

"I will never forget this day sir." She felt her cheeks turn pink. He heard his phone ring. He stood up and walked away to attend the call.

Shubha kept looking at him. He looked more handsome than ever. She shook her head and went to talk to Latha. "Latha aunty. Thank you for making the day special for me."

"It's my pleasure. Show me the pictures." 

Shubha showed her the pictures on her phone. When they reached the photograph where Vikram fed the cake to her, a smile crept across Shubha's face.

Latha found a picture with Vikram and Dhwani standing together. "They look good together. Don't they?"

Shubha nodded. "Yes."

"I wish Vikram says yes."

"For what?" Shubha asked though she knew the answer. She hoped to hear something else.

"We are planning to get them married. But they haven't given their consent yet. Vikram keeps making excuses like 'I need to finish this film', 'I am too young to get married'. I am not sure if he sees her like that. I wish he does." 

Shubha's heart sank. She didn't know if she should feel happy or miserable. Latha wanted her son to marry Dhwani. But from what she observed, Vikram doesn't want the same. "What if he, you know, what if he doesn't?"

"Then I will search for another girl. Simple." Latha answered her question. "I want someone who understands his nature. He is a good boy. But he needs to be shown the right path. I want his wife to be his guide and provide constant support."

Shubha felt a lot better. "Hope you find her soon." She left for her room. 

She fell asleep. She had a dream in which Latha made Vikram stand in a huge hall lined up with prospective brides. He held a garland in his hand and walked ahead looking at each girl. When Latha asked him who has won his heart, he turned around and walked towards Shubha with the same intense gaze he reserved for her, making her heart leap. He was about to garland her when she woke up startled. 

"Oh my Dumbledore! What a dangerous dream! My brain is malfunctioning." She started pacing up and down. "Need to reboot my system." She took a deep breath to calm down. "Vikram sir is just a friend." She tried to convince herself.

---***---