Part 4: Past Trauma

Warning, this chapter deals with sensitive subjects. Read with caution.
~Lia

Your POV

He sends Joel, Ellie and I off to gather supplies from a town they haven't visited yet. I feel relief immediately once I exit the compound. It's like being able to breathe again after holding your breath for a long time.

It's about a day and a half's travel on foot to get to the town, but the time seemed to fly by. Ellie brought a pun book, and me, never having heard a pun before in my life, thought they were just hilarious.

Entering the town was easy, Joel said it was too easy and somebody was waiting to ambush us. Boy was he right.

Joel ducks down behind a chest high wall as soon as the first shot is fired. Ellie and I follow his lead and duck behind a car.

Joel takes men out with his shotgun, Ellie shoots people with her handgun, and I work on not having a panic attack. I was not used to fights like this, they absolutely terrified me.

"Shit, Y/N!" Ellie shouts, brining me back to reality. A man threw her gun to the side and had her in a headlock. In a matter of seconds, I hear the whoosh of a metal pipe beside my head, and the world falls to blackness.

~~~

My head pounds in a steady beat with my heart, and I open my eyes as slowly as I possibly can.

I check my surroundings, and find that I'm in, what I assume is, a hotel room. At least they had the decency to drop me on the bed instead of the floor.

I get up too quickly, causing my head to spin. I put my hand on the wall for support and make my way over to the door. I jiggle the handle, and find it's locked, of course.

"Damn it," I curse under my breath, pounding on the door, "let me out of here!" I shout. What a horrible decision.

The door bursts open, and a dark skinned man with bright blue eyes stomps through it.

I get ready for a fight, holding my arms out to block the punch he throws.

"Oh c'mon princess, make this easy," he says, a disgusting smirk plastering itself onto his face. He nears me, and I back away from him.

"Not a fucking chance," I growl, keeping my voice as low and steady as possible.

"Feisty, I see," he chuckles, "I like that," he lunges towards me, throwing me to the ground, then landing on top of me and restraining my legs with his.

"Let me go, fucker!" I shout, struggling to escape his grip. He pins my arms above my head with one hand, and leans down to my ear.

"Not a fucking chance," he whispers huskily, moving one of his knees to my crotch, while one hand slithers under my shirt.

"No!" I scream, tears running from my eyes. My heart feels as though it might burst out of my chest as I struggle against his touch.

"Y/N!" I hear Ellie's voice, and the man above me suddenly has a hammer stuck in the side of his head. She throws his body off of me and kneels at my side. I sit up and grasp at her clothes.

"Are you okay? Is anything broken?" She asks, brushing my hair away from my face. I shake my head back and forth, using the sleeve of my shirt to wipe the tears from my cheeks.

"I'm fine," I say, though I'm anything but. That experience brought back terrible memories, memories I worked so hard to suppress, to burry in the darkest corners of my mind, and now they are once again in the forefront of my mind.

Ellie nods and stands, she then offers a hand to help me up, which I graciously took, thanking her as I stood up.

"They abandoned town, and took Joel with them," she states, handing me a gun, "I found our stuff on the way to save your ass," she jokes, and I can't quite bring myself to laugh. She leads me to our backpacks, and I grab mine, throwing it over my shoulder.

I follow her silently, unable to overcome the sick feeling in my stomach.

~~~

"The sun's going to set soon. We should find somewhere to spend the night," Ellie stated, and I mutely nodded. We'd made it to the edge of the town, where few buildings, and few infected, stood.

She continued down the path we'd been walking down, and I followed, looking around for a shelter of some sort. Before long we stumbled across a beaten down old cabin. All of the windows were shattered, but it had a couch, and it beat sleeping outside.

Ellie and I worked on building a fire in the fireplace. It was warm during the day, but cool at night, and we didn't want to get caught in the cold without a fire.

"Okay, Y/N, what's wrong?" Ellie asked, putting her hands on her hips as I looked up at her from my spot in front of the fire.

"What do you mean?" I asked, though I had a feeling I know what she's getting at.

"You've hardly said a word since I found you back at the hotel," She stated, a worried look replacing the stern one she was wearing. I sighed, I guess now was as good a time as any.

"When I was younger, David would do things like that to me... He would touch me, and there was nothing I could do about it," I said, my voice barely audible. The sick feeling in my stomach from earlier returned full force, and I started to worry I might throw up. Ellie sat down beside me in front of the fire, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I sighed, "nobody believed me when I told them, or they just told David I'd said something, and he'd hit me," I keep my eyes focused on the ground beside me, I didn't want to look at Ellie, I didn't want to see the expression on her face.

"I'm... sorry," she said, her voice quiet. It was obvious she didn't know what to do, but I found her kind words comforting nonetheless.

In the next moment, her arms were wrapped around me, causing my back to stiffen. Hugging was foreign to me, nobody ever did this with the cannibals. I tried to relax, and wrapped my arms around her back. The comfort I felt at the affection was unmatched to anything I'd ever felt before, and as a reaction I started to cry.

What started as quiet crying turned into violent sobbing, and Ellie held me the entire time, whispering words of comfort every so often.