Part 3: I Can't Stay

Your POV

I've been here for about a month, and I absolutely hate it. It's not the place itself, but the people in this place. Ellie is the only one who I've grown close to, because everyone else thinks of me as an outcast. They call names, and I've even been hit a few times. It's probably the worst in the cafeteria, which is where I am now.

I sit quietly, eating my meat shreds. Ellie would normally be sitting with me, but she had to help clean the horses today.

"Hey, you cannibal fuck!" I hear a man's voice. I look up to see Joe and his group of assholes approaching me. Joe is 20, but he insists on acting like we're in grade school.

"What do you want, Joe?" I ask, glaring at him.

"I want you to get the fuck out of here!" He shouts, grabbing my hair and pulling me off of the bench, onto the ground.

I've been in my fair share of fights, but I'm no match for a group of 20 year old men, especially not while my shoulder is still healing. I stand up and look for the quickest escape route.

I dash for the back exit, throwing the door open and taking off into the grass. This has become almost a daily occurrence, so I know my way around the back exits of this place. I take off to the abandoned house that I call my safe spot, as they've never found me in it.

I can hear them running behind me, but their footsteps slow down as I weave around tree after tree. Once I finally think I've lost them, I hear a loud footstep from beside me, and a large tree branch smacks me in the face, breaking my nose on impact. I fall to my knees and begin coughing.

I'm lifted up by the hair, causing me to cry out in pain, "you'll never fit in here, you sick fucker," he drops me, kicking me in the stomach for good measure.

"I should just kill you right now, you pathetic waste of life," he spits, turning and walking away from me.

Tears spill from my eyes as I get up, continuing on my way to the abandoned house.

Ellie's POV

I've been looking for Y/N for twenty minutes, but I can't find her anywhere. I see Joe and his friends exit the woods, and I'm struck with anger. They always chase her into the woods so that nobody sees them beat her up.

"Where is she, Joe?" I ask, poison dripping from my voice. I really don't like Joe, he's such an asshole.

"You mean your little cannibal? She's somewhere in the forest," he laughs, and his group of asshole friends follow suit

"Fuck you," I say. I know exactly where she went, she always goes to that old house.

"Do you need your ass kicked too, bitch?" He says, snarling at me

"Fucking try me, Joe," he throws a punch, which I easily block. I kick him in the kneecap, and once he crumbles to the ground, I knee him in the nose.

I'm pretty sure I broke his kneecap, or his nose, or both. I hope it's both. As he tries to stand again, I take off into the forest.

Your POV

"Y/N!" I hear Ellie call my name through the old house. I sit on the old bed in one of the bedrooms, holding my sleeve to my nose to catch the blood.

"Oh my god, Y/N!" She rushes over to me, pulling one of the sheets off of the bed to hold up to my nose.

"I can't stay here, Ellie," hot tears run down my cheeks, "everyone hates me."

She wraps her arms around me, hugging me tightly.

"I don't hate you," she whispers, using her thumb to wipe the tears off of my cheeks. She doesn't say anything else, just holds me comfortingly in her arms.

~~~

"Oh dear, you've certainly broken your nose," the nurse says, as I sit in her office. Ellie stands beside me.

"Another fight, Y/N?" The door opens with those words, and Tommy enters. I sigh and nod my head.

He examines my nose, "what are we going to do with you?" He asks, and I know he's joking, but it still strikes a chord in my heart, and another tear runs down my cheek.

"Tommy, I can't stay here anymore. I don't fit in," I say, more tears running from my eyes.

"Y/N, like I told you a month ago, this is a place for people who have made mistakes, but want a second chance. You'll find where you fit in, I know you will. For now, why don't you just go for a supply run, you know, take a break," he suggests, looking at me with sympathetic eyes. I agree, and he allows the nurse to clean up my face.