Chapter four

Everly headed to Xander's house again. Her goal was to get him out of the house ones.

She didn't know exactly why he was afraid to go further than his property. The only thing she knew was that he had this paranoia of someone killing him. He wouldn't tell her much more than that.

But maybe, if he realized that there was nothing to be afraid of, he wouldn't have this paranoia anymore.

She knocked on the door before Ecco opened the door as usual. She led her into Xander's working room before she left again.

She could only see his back as he leaned in front of a table. In front of him laid a bunch of sketches, probably for his Generators. She then noticed the tons of television's standing there. It showed every room in the house and the outside of it. He had to be really terrified of someone. But who?

Awkwardly, she cleared her throat. Jeremiah jumped slightly as he turned around. His face softened as he saw who it was.

"Everly, what are you doing here?" He questioned with a confused face expression.

"I'm taking you out" She answered cheerfully.

"Where?" He asked, raising one of his brows in skepticism.

"The city. At a coffee shop with my friend Vanessa " She answered optimistically

"Not happening. I'm not going out there. I'm not prepared for it" He muttered out anxiously.

"Come on, Jeremiah. You need to face your fear. Because, if you don't, it'll never go away"

It looked like he was at least considering it. "No, Everly"

"Come on Xander" She breathed out, looking at him with pleading eyes.

He stood there looking at her hesitantly for some seconds before words were about to come out of his mouth.

"Ok, but just this one time. And, Ecco is coming with me" He answered determined.  Everly had found out that Ecco had to be some kind of body guard or something like that.

"Sure, it's fine" She answered. She was just glad that he even had agreed.

She was about to turn on her heels and walk out when Xander has stopped her. "Wait"

He went over to one of the tables were all different types of alcohol stood. He filled a glass up before he looked up at her. "Got to take the edge off"

—-

After some minutes they made it there with Xander's private car.

Everly's eyes travelled around her surroundings when she noticed that Vanessa was already inside of the cafe, waiting for them.

They got out off the car and that's when she I noticed how nervous Xander was. Quickly, he looked around on the street for something or someone that would attack him.

"Hey it's ok, there's nobody here that will attack you" Everly breathed out. She was stroking his back to make him less nervous. It seemed to have worked because she could feel him getting less tense at her touch.

Vanessa noticed, she was looking out the window at them, smiling like a madmen.
She didn't understand that Xander and her were just friends.

They walked into the coffee shop as they stopped up were Vanessa sat. Everly gave her a quick hug. "This is Ecco and Xander"

"Hi, I'm Vanessa, nice to meet you" She said with a wide smile as she shook both him and
Echo's hand excitedly.

"It's nice to meet you too" Xander said politely before Ecco moved to a table further in the back.

As they sat down the two of them grabbed a menu and looked for which drinks to buy. She decided on a cappuccino.

"Let me buy it for you" Xander insisted as Everly said what she was going to order.

"No, It's fine, you don't ha-"

"Just listen to the man, Ev, he's trying to be a gentleman" Vanessa breathed out chuckling slightly.

"Alright, but then I'll have to buy you dinner another time. Since you so kindly want to buy my Cappuccino" She joked.

"Deal" He said gently, a smirk appearing on his lips. She was only joking. Did he really mean it?

Shortly after, their drinks were on the table. They all started to talk about different types of things. As Everly glanced over at Xander and he actually looked really comfortable.

"See this is going fine" She whispered
into his ear with a small smile.

"Maybe you're right, thank you for doing this for me" He whispered back to her. She felt herself getting small shivers at his warm breath against her ear.

"Anytime"

All of a sudden she felt their hands brush against each other under the table. That's when he did something unexpected. He intertwined their fingers. She felt herself get butterflies.

She looked under the table at their intertwined hands before she looked up at Xander. She could feel herself staring to blush slightly. She didn't know what was happening to her feelings.

"So Xander, what do you do for a living?" Vanessa asked him curiously.

"I'm an engineer"

"Huh? what is that?" She asked, tilting her head to the side in confusion.

'Dumbass' Everly thought as a small laugh escaped her lips.

"An engineer is basically someone
that for example designs or builds machines" He explained with a small chuckle.

"Oh, that sounds cool. Aren't your dad an engineer or something Everly?" Vanessa asked her.

"You actually remembered?" She replied with a surprised face expression. She gave her a high five with the hand that wasn't intertwined with Xander's as he watched in fascination.

"I did, didn't I? I'm good" she said proud.

"You sure are Vanessa, you sure are"
Everly laughed out.

The rest of the time at the coffee shop went just like that until it was time to go home and Xander's private driver pulled up outside.

Vanessa and Everly followed him and Ecco back to their car. Xander was about to sit himself inside of it when he turned around towards her.

"I'll see you later" Everly breathed with a joyful smile, looking up at the taller red
head standing in front of her.

"Thank you for opening my eyes to the reality and not to my worst case scenario, Everly" He said thankfully. Then he did the second thing that day that caught her of guard. He pulled her into a hug. She could feel her heart beating faster for some strange reason.

"You're welcome" She replied to him. He smiled at her one last time before he and Ecco sat themselves in the car and it started to drive away.

She looked over at Vanessa. She had that same overexcited smile like the one she had when they arrived. She looked like she was gonna leave a stupid remark.

"I seri-" she said, before Everly interrupted her.

"Don't say a word"

"You're sleeping at my dorm right?" Vanessa asked, changing the topic.

"Of course I am" She replied, sounding like it was obvious which made her laugh.
———————-