Part 1: Mission

Third Person POV

Y/N groaned at the sound of her alarm clock, letting her know that it was time to get up and face the day. No matter how excited she was to be going on her first official mission, the girl still was not a fan of mornings.

She let out a yawn as she sat up and hung her legs over the side of her bed. She smacked the noisy clock, turning it off immediately.

She woke up rather quickly after that, having only a half hour to get ready before she and the others were leaving for the mission. Y/N still wasn't exactly sure what this mission was all about, she was so excited she forgot to ask.

"Y/N, hurry the hell up!" She heard a masculine voice from the other side of her door.

"I'm coming!" She yelled, throwing her hair into a ponytail.

Sure, the people around here could be harsh at times -Y/N could remember being beaten on more than one occasion- but she was sure they cared about her, they were her family.

She rushed out of the small house, where she slept with a few of the children, and ran to the front gates of the town they inhabited after David died.

She loaded into a truck and got ready for a long, boring ride.

~~~

"So what is our objective?" The girl asked, about four hours into the drive.

"We're going to murder the bastards that killed David," John, the man driving the truck, answered. Y/N's blood ran cold at the answer. She never thought she would have to see that girl again, let alone try to kill her.

"What's wrong? You've gone pale," the man sitting beside her asked, a smirk on his face.

"I, uh," she knit her eyebrows together and stuttered, looking for some excuse.

"Leave the poor girl alone, it's her first mission, her nerves are probably gettin' to her," a raspy voiced woman addressed the truck from the passengers seat. She turned around, allowing Y/N to see her worn, leathery features.

"Don't worry kid, it ain't so bad," she laughed, reaching back to give Y/N a good-hearted slap on the knee. Y/N gulped and forced a smile, even though she felt as though she may vomit.

After about three more hours of driving, all of the vehicles stopped, and everyone piled out. All that was left between the group and the compound was a small forest, which would surely not take them long to get through.

"Y/N," she turned at the sound of her name. A shotgun was shoved into her hands, "shoot to kill," John said, causing the girl to audibly gulp, but nod nonetheless.

~~~

"Shit!" She heard, but had no time to react before the gunshots started. Y/N was terrified, she had never killed anyone in her life. She ducked behind a car and tried to catch her breath, her heartbeat echoed in her ears, making it hard to hear anything else.

Upon seeing someone approaching her from the compound, Y/N took off toward a building. She was in a panic, she didn't want to kill anybody. This was wrong. Everything she had ever been taught was wrong, and she was ashamed it took going out into a death match for her to realize it.

Inside the compound was a woman with short blonde hair, and two brown haired men, Y/N noticed that one looked much older than the other. She dropped her gun and dove behind a table.

She heard footsteps nearing her, and tears fell from her eyes as she prayed this wasn't the end of her life. A rough hand grabbed her and lifted her before throwing the girl to her knees beside the table.

The barrel of a gun was pressed to the back of her head, and she held her breath.

"Joel, wait!" A feminine voice shouted

She heard the shot, and felt pain in her shoulder. She decided that this was a good thing, seeing as she wasn't dead.

"Ellie, back up," the gruff voice demanded. Y/N looked up slightly to see her, the girl she helped all those years ago, now trying to save her life.

"Joel, she helped me escape those fuckers the winter you were hurt," the girl, Ellie, explained, her voice calm and low.

You looked at the man's face, and it wavered for only a second before returning to the stone cold stare it originally held, "I don't give a damn what she did. She's a cannibalistic murderer," he growls lowly

"Please, I've never killed anyone," Y/N's voice, as well as her hands, shake as she moves them to apply pressure to the wound in her shoulder.

She was desperate. It was obvious.

He glares at you, "why the hell would I believe you?" His tone was harsh, making the girl flinch. Of course he wouldn't believe her, but hey, she tried.

"Joel, let's just lock her up. There's no point in killing her, she's just a kid," you hear another masculine voice, this one sounded much more pleasant than the first.

The first man groaned, looking to the girl, who gave him a pleading look, "fine, but the first time she tries to hurt anybody, I'm killin' her," he said, lowering his gun and grabbing Y/N's arm, the one attached to the injured shoulder. She cried out in pain, feeling a fresh wave of tears run down her cheeks.

Sure, the girl had been beaten and burned before, but she had never been shot, and the pain she felt was unbearable. Her eyelids dropped, and she fell unconscious onto the man.