too late

"Sorry, Peter. You had your chance. You're too late."

four years ago

Freshman year was tough for you. You had learned a lot about yourself as a person and were starting to figure out what you wanted to do for a career.

Freshman year was also the year you met Peter Parker. From the moment you made contact with those chocolately brown eyes, you were in love.

You and Peter were in a few classes together, but didn't talk much.

So, you sat in silence and daydreamed of Peter being your boyfriend in the meantime, too scared to say anything to him about your feelings.

A year passed, and suddenly it was October of your sophomore year. Peter was in more classes with you, and your little crush was getting stronger by the day.

You two had grown closer over the past year and frequently hung out together, whether it be at the movies or grabbing a burger and shake from Shake Shack.

You had decided that you were done being a wimp. You were going to ask Peter to hang out, confess your love to him, and then ask him to the upcoming homecoming dance.

So, sat in the corner booth of Shake Shack, you munched on some fries, trying to muster up the courage to confess to the boy who was sitting across from you.

"Hey, Pete. I have a question."

"Yeah, what's up?" Peter replied, taking a bite of his burger.

"So, you know the homecoming dance is coming up, right?" You asked, swirling around the straw in your cup of grape soda.

"Yeah. It's in two weeks, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Are you going with anyone?"

"Actually, I was thinking-"

You cut him off before he could finish.

"Listen, I really like you. I think you're great, and I'd be the happiest girl in the world if you went with me to the dance, so will you please go to homecoming with me?" You blurted.

Peter looked shocked.

"You didn't let me finish. I was going to ask Liz to the dance with me."

You nodded, feeling your heart drop. Liz Allan, the gorgeous senior you had forgotten Peter had mentioned before.

"Listen, Y/N. I don't like you that way. You're nice and all, but I don't like you back. I'm sorry. I don't want things to be awkward, though. Can we at least stay friends?"

You nodded, blinking back tears, not really listening to what Peter had to say after "I don't like you that way."

"Yeah, sure, no problem, that's fine." You said, nodding some more. You picked up your garbage, looking down to hide the tears now trickling from your eyes.

"Listen, I gotta go. See you." You said, throwing out your garbage and leaving before Peter could say another word.

You got home as quick as you could and ran inside, throwing yourself on your bed as you let your tears flow freely.