Something Amazing - Steven

Start from the beginning

        "We're doing what?" Joe demanded from the passenger seat.

        "Shut up and like it," I said, keeping my eyes on the road.  Multiple groans and complaints met my orders.  "And you'll get a reward."

        "It depends what it is," Tom says, probably thinking about one of two things: the correct answer, or Joe's original thoughts on what the Something Amazing was going to be.  And those went something like this:

        After dropping off Charlie, we came back home to the apartment.  We all crashed in chairs and on the couch because we had played a rather grueling show last night.  And may I just say that if I quit high-school to pursue music and get high, I should've just gone to college.  All those people wanted to do was drugs and each other.  And listen to us playing while they were at it.

        So I said, "Don't plan anything tonight."

        "Why?" Joey asked.

        "Because you are going to participate in a Something Amazing with me and Charlie."

        "Who the hell is Charlie?" Tom asked.

        "My girlfr–uh, the girl from the hotel with the sister who hooked up with Joe," I said.

        "Oh.  Right."

        But then Joe came out of the kitchen with a beer saying, "Whoa, whoa, whoa.  I know we're a band and all but is that really necessary, Steven?"

        So guess I could've worded my request a bit better.  My bandmates were obviously assuming the completely wrong things.

        Like, why the hell would they get in on that?

        But anyway, that's what they were probably thinking when I said the reward as we were driving to Charlie's.  So Tom asked the question of what the reward was and...

        "Can't tell you," I say slowly, "but you'll like it."  I grin for good measure, congratulating myself on how effective my manipulative skills worked.

--

I knocked on the door with a shaking hand three times.  A man that looked almost exactly like Charlie answered the door.  Behind him was the little lady I met this afternoon.  She was smiling.  He was not.

        The guys were in the car.  I was alone.  "H-Hello," I stammered.  Dammit, Tyler, get it together!  "I'm Steven... I'm here for Charlie?"

        This is so new to me.  Normally it's waiting in the street, and the little cutie slipping out the back door.  She probably wouldn't be home until the next day, too.  It's new, weird, and I don't like it.  Well, I like the Charlie part of it, but, not the 'hey, I'm Steven' part.  I know they don't like my long hair, my too-tight jeans, or my equally (if not tighter) too-tight shirt.  But my jacket covers it up.  I hope her stepmom doesn't offer to take it.  Or worse–her dad.

        "Yes, Charlie lives here," Charlie's dad replied.  "Come on in.  I'd like to have a word.  Where's the rest of your band?"

        What?  Why's he want the band?  "Uh, in the car."  He stares at me.  Alice looks apologetic.  "Should I... Get them?"  Charlie's dad nods slowly.  I hang in the doorway.  "Hey guys!  Joe!" I yell.  Finally, Joe rolls the window down.

        He blows some smoke from his mouth as he yells, "The fuck you want now?"

        Ah, shit.  Mary Jane and the notorious 'f-word.'  Awesome.  "Get in here!"  I hope that they didn't hear or see Joe.