"I have uh, some errands to run for Gaius, it involves herbs, you know, he's run out of mugwort and saffron" Merlin's fast way of speaking came to life once again, which only made his excuse harder to believe. Sometimes Arthur really didn't know what Merlin was doing, even though he said he was going to gather herbs.

"surely that can wait?" Arthur asked, and made sure Merlin knew just how bewildered he was.

"sure. Yea, sure," Merlin nodded to himself, "I mean, then you can just go find some saffron if, I don't know, someone was to fall ill, let's say, Gwen?" Merlin said. Arthur was sure Merlin had been on the cider, there was no other explanation for his sudden speech about herbs.

"That was very specific, why would she fall ill?-" Arthur frowned at Merlin's words, but had no chance to finish his sentence properly, before Merlin once again opened his mouth, "see, you should let me find those herbs!" Merlin was eager to leave, it seemed. Why? Arthur had no idea. The king was starting to get impatient, "Merlin, is there somewhere you have to be?" he asked, his voice firmer by every word. Merlin recognized his tone and knew he had to calm down. Not that there was a specific reason not to be calm, Merlin knew he was one of the only people in Camelot able to stand up to the king, both as a servant and as a friend. Merlin's words were gold to Arthur, and it had been that way for years, "yes! The woods!" he answered, and Arthur rolled his eyes.

"you seem a bit too eager to search for plants, Merlin" Arthur responded in his typical 'Merlin-is-up-to-something' tone and hesitated before looking back at his manservant. Merlin didn't seem like he wanted to be asked a million questions, so that was exactly what Arthur was intending to do if he had the chance.

Merlin clicked his tongue, and continued, "sorry. I just rarely get time off, that's all" he said, turned his back to Arthur, and began collecting the leftovers of the king's breakfast, to return to the palace kitchens. Arthur hesitated for a while. He took a deep breath before letting out a sigh, "if this is you complaining," he started but was trailed off almost immediately. He knew Merlin by now, knew of all the somehow convincing excuses he had in mind, knew how he honestly deserved a day off but was also very familiar with the fact that his pride wouldn't allow it.

"I'm not! I'm just saying a walk in the woods would do me wonders" Merlin's almost humming voice sounded in a response, and Arthur once again shook his head to himself, wondering what kinds of new useless information he would gather, to tell Arthur all about once he returned.

Even with that fact in consideration, Arthur wanted to give him some time off anyway. It was a while ago he had let Merlin off easy. After a subtle sigh or two, he finally answered, and to Merlin's surprise, it was rather pleasing, "make it quick then. You better be back at noon," Arthur didn't want to look him in the eyes after that. Merlin had basically won – defeated Arthur in the battle of Merlin's freedom, that was merely a normal conversation between them.

As the king turned to leave, he spoke the last few words that his sentence held, "sometimes I doubt you're even gathering herbs" Arthur added, not meant for Merlin to pay much attention to.

A little smile formed in the corner of Merlin's mouth as he whispered to himself, "well you'd be surprised".

-

"have you got all you need?" Gaius handed Merlin the basket he was supposed to put the herbs in and awaited an answer. He looked at the boy with father-like eyes, and Merlin responded with a smile, "yes I think so"

-

The sunbeams danced on the branches, the calm summer wind playing with Merlin's dark raven hair. It was nice. Merlin had a hard time believing Arthur gave him this amount of time off. Noon was hours away, and for the first time in a while, Merlin felt he had all the time in the world.

He hummed to himself, admired the purple flower that stood tall and proud at the bottom of his feet. He squatted down, and carefully ran his fingers over its soft petals before gently picking it up and putting it to sleep in his basket. There. Only many more saffron flowers to pick. Sometimes, when he was out gathering herbs, he looked at the plants and felt at home. It was due to nature, he assumed. His magic boiled in his body, he noticed every leaf, every insect, and every little sound they made, made him feel at ease. Every drop of water hanging from the leaves showed a clear reflection of himself, not to mention the mild summer breeze caressing his skin. He loved it.

The wind in the trees sounded, and Merlin stood up slowly. This was the feeling he was so familiar with. This was the feeling he wanted to share with those he loved, this was the feeling no one else felt. This was the feeling that confirmed his loneliness. He sighed and continued searching for the small purple flowers that supposedly grew in this area.

-

An hour or so had passed. Merlin had probably gathered enough saffron for Gaius' liking. No more purple flowers were to be taken away from their homes, and the search for Mugwort now begun.

Mugwort was not a herb that was used a lot, due to its abilities. Sure, it could treat a woman's ailments, but it sure had its fair share of colorful dreams. It was used back in Ealdor, the village Merlin grew up in. He had only been taken on a few short trips to search for this type of plant since the women in his village often fell ill, but it was a long time ago. Way before his time in Camelot, although he still managed to remember their location.

He needed to go south.

They grew near the border of the forest of Ascetir, and the forest of Brechfa which was miles away from Ealdor. Ealdor was in located Lot's kingdom, Ascetir, formerly ruled but Cenred.

Merlin wanted to visit Ealdor from time to time, but never found the time to do so. With that in mind, he began moving.

-

The knights were still discussing villages, food supplies, and whatnot, which bored Arthur more than it should, but he managed to hide it well. Nothing exciting happened, but it was not to be expected. At least not until the wide doors at the end of the throne room opened, and a guard stepped in. Leon walked towards him with a semi-worried look on his face and was shortly after given a letter. He read it carefully.

His eyes widened, "sire" he spoke in a firm tone, and not only Arthur, but all the knights turned their heads in confusion.

"Leon. What news do you bring?" Arthur asked. The knight stepped closer, handed Arthur the letter, but was impatient enough to spoil the content in which the letters formed, "the outlying villages have been attacked, even villages located in Ascetir are begging for Camelot's help. It seems the Saxons has invaded most of the south"

_____________________________________________________________________________

Greetings, traveler! :) This is the Author speaking.. Now, mfirst of all , I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. There's a lot of things that I can do better, so please let me know what you liked and disliked! It will be much appreciated :)

Second of all: here's a map of Camelot. Now, you're able to follow Merlin around on his search for Mugwort ;)

 Now, you're able to follow Merlin around on his search for Mugwort ;)