Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I was wrong about Kingsley, he's a bigger whore than I ever could possibly imagine.

Unlike what I had expected, we didn't pick up Kingsley's date on the way to the party. It turns out he did have one and I soon found out as soon as we walked through those cherry wood double doors. He didn't come here to party. He came here to pick up girls.

As soon as we entered the party, which was being held in some kind of ballroom, Kingsley left my side to meet some redhead in the corner. I watched as they giggled back and forth shamelessly and really considered waiting the party out in the car but thought better of it.

How often do I get this dressed up? Hell, it's hard to even get me in a dress, let alone makeup. I need to make the best of this situation. I need to get out on that dance floor and shake it like my momma gave me. Maybe I'll snag a dance partner on the way.

Ignoring the manslut in my peripheral I strutted out to the middle of the ballroom floor where there were a few couples slow-dancing to the classical music playing in the background. I tried to spot out someone-anyone-who looked like they wanted to dance or even talk, but I didn't find anyone. Everyone had a date. Besides Kingsley and his whores, I'm the only one without one.

How pathetic. This is high school all over again.

Groaning I lowered my head to the floor. What the hell kind of party is this anyway? Where's the DJ? The screaming bodies pounding into me? Where the hell is the bar? I need a drink.

No, my sensible side told my inner self. You cannot drink because you have to drive Kingsley home!

Sucking up the disappointment I felt bubbling in the pit of my stomach I made my way to the patio and strolled down the stairs into the garden. The silence is thick and welcomed compared to inside with all of those people I don't know. They're all rich and important--that's the only thing I could decide from their clothes and tastes in liquor--they are not people I could find myself actually being interested in anyway.

At least that's what I'm going to tell myself as I walk through this flowery wonderland alone. No need to admit to myself what I already know. That I'm a complete loser.

Ugh, what is with all of this self-pity all of a sudden? I scrunched my nose at myself and shook my head. All of this just because Kingsley didn't ask me to be his date? What am I, some jealous lover?

"Aren't you feeling well?"

"Holy fucking shit!" I scream into a very familiar face, but the lighting out here is terrible.

"Is that how you always greet people?" Evan asked.

"Uh, ah, no..." I say dumbly, looking down at my hands. Wow, how embarrassing! "W-what are you doing here? Didn't you tell me you don't get out much?"

He chuckled. "I suppose I'm not as much as a hermit as I let on. I'm here on business, to make a deal with one of the artists here."

"Oh really?" I say engagingly. He's never told me where he's worked before. Slight interest aroused in me. "What kind of deal?"

"I work for a Salon nearby and they want to showcase a few different styles of art. I hear Kingsley Thomas is a fantastic realism artist."

Now why the hell did he have to go and mention Kingsley? And right when I was starting to forget about the ass hole too. Damn men and their ignorance.

"Is that so?" I say without a clue, even though I know fully well how great of an artist Kingsley is, especially his work with realism. You won't see anything like his anywhere else in the world. He's that amazing.