Chapter 5

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey, join here beneath Highrock for a clan meeting!" Snowstar's voice rang out on the walls of the camp. I padded over, wondering what he had called the clan for. There was one that had happened earlier in the day.

"Cats of ThunderClan, I have a couple of announcements. First and foremost, a couple of kits from the nursery have grown to be six moons. That means that they are ready to be apprenticeshiped." Two kits bundled out of the nursery, their mother scolding them. Amusement lit Snowstar's eyes. "Finchkit and Firekit, come here." They both walked over to the great leader. "Finchkit, you have reached six moons and are ready to be apprenticed. From this day forward, you shall be known as Finchpaw." Snowstar touched his muzzle to Finchpaw's head. Finchpaw licked his shoulder respectfully.

"I know we are low on warriors at the moment, but this will have to do. Stormtail, you will mentor Finchpaw. Your courage and loyalty are never doubted and I hope you pass these qualities down to Finchpaw." My heart almost stopped. I heard shocked muttering around me, but I didn't hear it. I was just made a warrior, I thought.

"Firekit, you have reached the age of six moons and are also ready to be apprenticed. From this day forward, you shall be known as Firepaw. I will mentor you, Firekit." Snowstar meowed. "Stormatail, you may take Finchpaw out on a tour of our territory in the morning, after your vigil."

"The last thing I wanted to tell you is who will be replacing Cloudfur in the place of a deputy. I have decided that Hollypool will be a good choice." The last mew was drowned out by yowls of approval. The black and white splotched cat padded forward.

"I am honored by your decision Snowstar and I promise you will not regret it," the she-cat mewed gratefully.

"Thank you." Hollypool nimbly jumped down from the Highrock and flicked her tail in acknowledgment. All the cats crowded around Hollypool as she padded back to her den, her eyes shining.

The sun was already setting by the time I got some fresh-kill. "You're so lucky, Stormtail. I would have done anything to have an apprentice," Fogdrift meowed.

"I'm not looking forward to our night vigil. You can't talk or sleep. It must get pretty boring," I meowed changing the subject.

We finished our fresh-kill as the sun was setting. I sat down and got ready for the long, cold, night. It went by slower than I thought. By moon high, it felt as though I had been sitting there for seasons. Then, I finally saw a couple of rays of light by the horizon.

"You can speak now," meowed a voice behind them. I whipped around. The sound of a voice sounded odd after not hearing one all night. Hollypool was the one who had spoke. The black and white she-cat was circling them curiously.

"Ok, thanks Hollypool," Brookefur said. I got up, but as I was heading to my den, Hawktail sped up to me and panted, "Stormtail, Snowstar needs you in his den." I paused. "Now! He said it's urgent." At that I sped off in the direction of the leader's den.

"What is it Snowstar?"

"It's Blizzardheart. She has greencough."