Chapter 6: The Poetry Contest

The next morning Hiccup woke up and started to think of love poetry to astound his beloved wife as he made his way to the living room. He grabbed some charcoal and paper. He thought and thought until his head filled up with a beautiful poem that would guarantee his win in the little contest. He chuckled as he started to write.

Hiccup: Astrid, you are gonna cry when you hear my poem.

Meanwhile Astrid was taking a walk on the beach with her faithful companion, Stormfly. She stopped and looked a the horizon. The sun was rising. Her eyes sparkled in the sun's warm daylight touching her face. She took a deep breath.

Astrid: Ahhhhhhhhh...You smell that Stormfly?

Stormfly looked at the horizon and sniffed. Then she put her head near her owner. Astrid patted her nose.

Astrid: That is the smell of Berk in a lovely early winter morning. Beautiful isn't it?

Stormfly grunted. Astrid smiled. But her smile didn't last for long. She pondered over what her poem should be about. Astrid sighed.

Astrid: Got any good ideas girl?

Astrid gave Stormfly a piece of chicken. Stormfly gladly gobbled it up. Then Astrid's head became filled with heart pounding love poems. She got on her dragon.

Astrid: C'mon Stormfly! I have some poetry to write.

She giggled.

Astrid: Hiccup is going to fall in love with me all over again once he hears these poems.

Hours pass by and a crowd starts to form at the great hall. Hiccup and Co. all get there on time. Hiccup spotted Astrid just as Astrid saw Hiccup. The two approached each other.

Astrid: Hey there.

Hiccup: Hey there yourself.

They laughed as they greeted each other with a kiss. Valka suddenly appeared. Hiccup got surprised.

Hiccup: Mom! Are you a judge?

Valka laughed.

Valka: As a matter of fact I am. Bucket and Mulch are the other judges.

Valka silenced the crowd of people.

Valka: Let the poetry contest begin!

First it started off with Snotlout vs Fishlegs.

Snotlout: Roses are red,dandelions are yellow. When I see you laugh you jiggle like jello.

Crowd members laughed. Valka,Bucket,and Mulch all gathered around and discussed the points his poem was worth.

Valka: 7 points!

Fishlegs: My turn. Ahem... Hydrangeas are pink,Dragon nip is green when I see you I think,"That's the funniest looking Yak I've seen."

Everyone started to laugh. Including the judges,Hiccup and Co,and even Snotlout's father! Snotlout huffed. The judges made their decisions.

Valka: 8.4 points! Fishlegs moves on!

Fishlegs: YES!!!

Snotlout: This was a stupid idea anyway!

Snotlout stormed off with Hookfang.

Valka: Next,is Ruffnut vs. Son of-

Bucket then whispered something into her ear.

Valka: It appears that Eret will not be participating in this contest for unknown reasons. Therefore Ruffnut shall move on!

Ruffnut: Yeah! I didn't even do anything!

Valka: Next it's Astrid vs Tuffnut!

Tuffnut: Ok,soooooooo...umm...what do I do again?

Astrid sighed.

Astrid: Tell a poem.

Tuffnut: Oh...about that...what if I don't have a poem?

Valka: Then Astrid will move on.

Tuffnut: Ok,that's fine with me. I give up.

Tuffnut then ran off to do mischief.

Valka: And Astrid will move on! Next is Hiccup vs...

Bucket again whispered something into Valka's ear.

Valka: Hiccup vs. Heather!

Astrid: WHO???!!!

Suddenly the black haired girl emerged from the crowd. Everyone was surprised to see her,especially Hiccup and especially Astrid.

Heather: Hey Hiccup. Been a long time.

Hiccup: Likewise Heather.

Valka: You may now begin!

Hiccup: Ladies first.

Astrid watched as she didn't keep her eyes off of Heather.

Heather: Over a period of time, 

I got to know the real you. 

A boy so caring and gentle, 

with a heart so true. 

You've survived your life 

with hurt and loneliness by your side.

Little did I know that life without you,would be like a heart with a knife.

So here I am today,

here with you at last.

Wanting for you to be mine,

because the past is in the past.

Everyone stood quiet. Even Hiccup. Valka and the judges decided the points.

Valka: 10 points!

The crowded cheered. Astrid started to get angry.

Hiccup: Ummm...wow...Heather,I-I didn't know you felt that way...

Valka: Now it's Hiccup's turn.

Hiccup: Ok,well...Umm...I'll answer to your umm...request Heather. Here it is. Ahem...

Back then, I opened my deepest feelings up to you. And honestly you didn't have a clue.

Sometimes it's hard being me,

Hiding my feelings so the world doesn't see.

But with you I must be true,

my true love is not you.

I say I must share

that my true love is there!

(He points at Astrid in the crowd.)

Forgive me,for I must apologize,

now If you excuse me, it's time to say goodbye.

Hiccup walks away towards Astrid kissing her passionately. The crowd goes wild. No one even noticed that Heather just disappeared.

Valka: 10 points! There will be a t- Wait. Where's Heather?

Everyone finally noticed that Heather was gone.

Valka: Hiccup shall move on to th semi finals! It shall be Hiccup vs. Ruffnut and Astrid vs. Fishlegs.

Astrid looked up at Hiccup. She smiled.

Astrid: That was beautiful...Thank you Hiccup...

Hiccup: For you my love,anything...

They embrace in a kiss before departing to prepare for the semi finals.