"Ari's afraid of rejection?" Jamie stared in disbelief. "But he's-"

"I know," Aveline cut in, rolling her eyes. "He's also morally backwards, at least according to half the kingdoms of the Detache." She rolled her eyes. "Anyway, he obviously likes you... but he also doesn't know what's going to happen after this. None of us do."

Jamie winced. "You're right."

"My advice? Don't try and fix him," she continued. "I know he's... well, Ari, and he's difficult, and acts like a child sometimes. But his abrasiveness is nothing short of a defense mechanism. He's just sort of..."

"I know," Jamie finished, drawing her knees to her chest. "I know that he's apprehensive. I think Ari and I understand each other better than most."

"You're similar in a lot of ways," Aveline agreed. "Which can complicate things. But it can also help." Finally she glided off the window seat and smoothed her bodice down once before observing Jamie once more. "Ari cares. A lot," she said gently. "I think that's why he's the way that he is."

She left Jamie with her thoughts and wandered vacantly through the halls, her stomach rousing slightly to remind her that she wanted something. Bread, perhaps. Something like that.

She found pound cake in the dining room. Close enough.

She picked up distant footsteps down the hall as she rummaged for a plate, and spoke up without turning around.
"Eli?"

"There you are," Eli replied, and Aveline turned around with a smirk. He was leaning against the doorframe, his mouth twitching upwards. "I've been looking for you."

She lifted up the plate in her hand. "Cake?"

"I'm fine, thank you. But I'll watch you finish yours," he suggested, and Aveline blushed involuntarily.

"Fine." She bumped him with her hip as she passed him through the doorway.

Eli plopped down on a sofa in the sitting room, and Aveline settled next to him, resting her legs on his knees while she ate her cake.

Eli regarded her with apparent fascination, entwining his hands together on his stomach, and Aveline nudged him with her ankle.
"What?"

"You're lovely," he offered unexpectedly.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

She watched him as he let his head fall back against the sofa. "Not all the time."

"No?"

"Not when I'm angry." She shoveled a forkful of cake into her mouth, and Eli grinned.

"I've never seen you angry before. What do you do?"

"Well, I'm actually quite the grudge-holder."

"Me too, to a fault."

Aveline brushed a few crumbs off of the divan. "I can be kind of scary, actually."

He chuckled. "I believe it."

"I mean..." Aveline forced out a giggle of her own. "I'm not all ribbons and bows, you know?" She said it lightly, but found herself only half-joking, watching him carefully from underneath her eyelashes.

"Do you hide dead bodies under your bed?"

She laughed. His hand found hers and she instantly laced their fingers together. "No, sorry to disappoint."

Eli gave an exaggerated exhale. "Damn."

Aveline scooted towards him, anchoring her toes underneath his thighs. "I finished my cake."

He released her hand to close his grip around her waist, pulling her closer. "Was it good?"

"Very."

Eli hummed against her lips, nudging his nose against hers, and Aveline allowed herself to relax as he kissed her, a quiet reminder to at least let herself have this.

--

When they went back up on the deck a few minutes later, Jamie had returned and was huddled around Lyla with Ari and Inez. Lyla was tensely rubbing her arms with her palms, trying to create friction, as Inez awkwardly patted her back.

Ari looked up at them as they approached. "We're almost to Diviel," he explained.

"Everything's going to be fine, Lyla." Aveline knelt beside the blonde. "We're experts, remember?"

"I wish it didn't have to turn out this way," Lyla said bleakly. "Those poor royals didn't do anything wrong. And now they're being forced to marry the people that kidnapped them. And once we show up, it's just going to put them in more danger."

Aveline exchanged uneasy glances with Eli.

"It's alright to be angry, Lyla," he told her. "You have every right."

"Everything will be fine," Ari said in a softer voice. "Aveline and I have rescued people before. It's tricky, but we know what do in these situations. You just have to trust us, alright?"

"I know, I'm sorry. I do." Lyla ran a hand down the side of her face and straightened. "I'm just worried, is all."

"You know, when I'm upset, I like to throw live fish at Ari," Aveline offered. "It's quite calming, you'll find."

Ari glared at her, and Lyla gave a watery chuckle.
"Right, then." Aveline rose back to her feet. "We'll be docking soon, and then we have to meet Simon on the beach. Wear something comfortable and inconspicuous. Lyla, come with me; we'll find some pants for you."

Eli gently touched the inside of Aveline's palm as she left to her cabin, with Lyla following dutifully behind, leaving Ari and Jamie behind to studiously avoid eye contact with each other.

Aveline tried to be as breezy as possible, which wasn't too difficult.

"I'm thinking black," she mused, leafing through the fabrics in her closet. "What about you?"

"You're the boss." Lyla folded her hands together behind her back and Aveline could tell she was trying not to snoop around.

"Green would blend better, but black is the most reliable color, don't you think?" Finally Aveline grabbed a tight long-sleeve with matching pants. "We can tie your hair up if you'd like."

She helped Lyla into her clothes, grateful that they were around the same size. Lyla smoothed her hand over the stretchy cloth with wonder. "Where did you get this?"

"Hmm... I don't even remember."

"Are you ready?" Lyla called to her a few moments later as Aveline shucked a beige, close-fitting top over her torso. She pulled her hair out from under the collar, shaking her loose curls out onto her shoulders, and took a breath. The reflection in her mirror was sweet and feminine. Attractive. Lips slightly arched upwards. Her blouse accentuated her curves while concealing the muscle and scar tissue underneath.

Aveline tucked her pistol into her waistband and faced Lyla.
"Of course."
Then she tucked the other girl's hand into her own and led her upstairs.

Everyone else waited by the railing. Eli and Jamie were dressed in dark clothing, seriousness tracing their features.

Ari grinned as he saw her. "It took you long enough. We go ashore in five."

Aveline rolled her shoulders and tipped her head from side to side, stretching out her neck. "Alright."

"You know," Eli remarked, pensive as he placed a hand on the railing, "whatever happens after this... if we all die, or something equally horrible happens," he continued, ignoring Ari as he rolled his eyes, "I'm glad we did this. Together."

"Me too," Lyla piped up.

Aveline smiled softly, her eyes fixed on the horizon as the green coast of Diviel swiftly approached.

"Shall we?"

**BYEEE SEE YOU FRIDAY**